There is just something so refreshing about a berry cupcake and these Blackberry cupcakes with Bakery Style Blackberry Buttercream Frosting are amazing!! If you love blackberry recipes and you love amazing cupcakes then you are going to LOVE this blackberry cupcake recipe!
Costco had a great deal on blackberries when I went, so naturally, I went with something that I can get a bargain on. Having those fresh blackberries in my fridge we’re driving us all nuts. We could eat an entire Costco size package in one sitting!
My favorite part about these cupcakes the combination of the spongy texture of the cake with the juicy berry on the bottom. Even though the blackberries are called black they turn everything a nice purple shade and boy do they look pretty! If you would like you may add a little bit of purple food coloring to really make that purple pop but I like them just the way they are with the blackberries. These cupcakes are a perfect addition to any of your upcoming summer barbecues. Plus they are very light and they will not weigh you down like a chocolate cupcake might.
For the base of these cupcakes, I used my classic Bakery style vanilla cupcake batter. If you are looking for a little decorating tip than check out how I get my perfect cupcake swirl with the buttercream frosting. It is super easy!
How to Make Blackberry Cupcakes with Blackberry Frosting
Blackberry cupcakes with Blackberry Frosting ingredients
- 2 dozen blackberry cupcakes
- blackberry buttercream
- 24 fresh blackberries
Blackberry Cupcake Directions
- Place your piping tip into your pastry bag and then fill the bag with your blackberry buttercream.
- Swirl the buttercream onto each cupcake.
- Top each cupcake with one fresh blackberry on the top of the swirl.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your cupcake pans with your choose of cupcake wrappers.
- Place your self-rising flour, cake flour, and sugar in the bowl of your mixer. Mix them together for a minute or two until they are well combined.
- Cut your butter into tablespoon pieces. Slowly add your butter into the flour mixture one piece at a time continue mixing until you have reached the texture of sand.
- Pour half of your milk into the flour mixture and mix just until the milk is incorporated. Use your rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of your bowl. Add your remaining milk and the vanilla to your batter and mix until combined.
- Slowly add in one egg at a time to the cake batter, making sure each egg is incorporated before adding the next egg.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake pan, filling them 3/4 of the way full.
- Press one blackberry into the center of each cupcake.
- Bake for 10 minutes then rotate the cake pans so the pan that was on the top rack is now on the bottom and the pan that was on the bottom is now on thetop rack. Continue to bake for another 10-13 minute until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cupcake.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack until they have reached room temperature.
- Place your butter and shortening together in the bowl of your mixer. Mix them together on medium speed until they are nice and creamy.
- Turn the mixer down to the lowest setting and slowly incorporate the powdered sugar into the shortening mixture. Once you have added all the sugar to the mix pour in the hot water, blackberry jam, vanilla and food coloring.
- Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and continue mixing for 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
Looking for more frosting recipes? Check these out and don’t miss this awesome list of cupcake frosting recipes including:
Love Cupcakes? Check these out!
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter And Jelly Cupcakes
- Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
- Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
- Blackberry Cupcakes
- Boston Cream Cupcakes
- Blueberry Cupcakes
More Amazing Frosting Recipes to Try:
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest recipes right in your inbox every time we post a new one!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
There was an error submitting your subscription. Please try again.
We won’t send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.
Powered by ConvertKit
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here