We really like to get creative with our cupcakes, if you have not guessed that yet. 🙂 There is just something amazing about a tasty cupcake that has an amazing frosting, amazing cake and like these Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes an amazing filling that just makes the cupcakes flavor explode!
On top of loving cupcakes, we also love holidays. I like to go all out for the kids, make fun meals and then of course you have to have a fun and tasty dessert. My Chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes and Chocolate Cherry Sweet Heart Cupcakes are always favorites with the kids on Valentine’s Day but I wanted to change things up a bit. This year for Valentine’s Day we will be having these Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes!
If you have never made chocolate covered cherries, they are so simple! It is a great task to have the kids do, if you are wanting to have them help in the kitchen.
Making your own chocolate covered cherries is so simple, I learned from my mom when I was a kid. However it is very important to make sure you are using a good quality chocolate. Trust me on this, they will not be what you are expecting if you skimp on the chocolate! I prefer to use Ghirardelli dipping chocolate because it already has some oil added to it to make dipping easier for me.
Check out here to learn how to melt your chocolate with a double boiler, easiest way and I find it works much better then the microwave method. Of course you also need the best buttercream frosting for these, and there is nothing better then this chocolate buttercream recipe. This buttercream is rich and cream that will complement the cherries.
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes Ingredients
- 24 Chocolate cupcakes
- Can of cherry pie filling
- Chocolate buttercream
- 24 jarred cherries
- 4 oz candy coating chocolate
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes Directions
Drain your cherries on a plate that is lined with paper towels.
Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Dip your cherries into your chocolate then place it on your sheet pan. Place your cherries in the fridge to set.
Using a paring knife, cut a hole out of the top of the cupcake and remove part of the cupcake cake.
Take a small spoon and place the cherries into the hole.
Pipe your buttercream on top of your cupcakes. I think they look best using the cupcake swirl.
Top each cupcake with a chocolate covered cherry.
Love cupcakes? Check these out!
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter And Jelly Cupcakes
- Salted Caramel Cupcakes
- Andes Mints Cupcakes
- Chocolate Caramel Turtle Cupcakes
Looking for more frosting recipes? Check these out and don’t miss this awesome list of cupcake frosting recipes including:
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest recipes right in your inbox every time we post a new one!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes Directions
- Drain your cherries on a plate that is lined with paper towels.
- Melt your chocolate over a double boiler.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Dip your cherries into your chocolate then place it on your sheet pan. Place your cherries in the fridge to set.
- Using a paring knife, cut a hole out of the top of the cupcake and remove the extra cake.
- Take a small spoon and place the cherries into the hole.
- Pipe your buttercream on top of your cupcakes.
- Top each cupcake with a chocolate covered cherry.