If you love chocolate and cherry together then you are going to love these Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes. Moist, fluffy chocolate cupcakes filled with cherries then topped with smooth and creamy rich chocolate buttercream frosting and topped off with a chocolate covered cherry.
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
We really like to get creative with our cupcakes, if you have not guessed that yet. There is just something amazing about a tasty cupcake that has an amazing frosting, amazing homemade cupcake and then add in some creative fillings and toppings and you have the best cupcakes ever.
These Chocolate cherry cupcakes, or as my kids call thme Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes that have cherry filling along with homemade chocolate buttercream frosting and then topped off with a chocolate covered cherry. The amazing cherry filling combined with the moist chocolate cupcake that just makes the cupcakes flavor explode!
On top of loving cupcakes, we also love holidays. I like to go all out for the kids, make fun meals and then of course you have to have a fun and tasty dessert. My Chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes and Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes are always favorites with the kids on Valentine’s Day but I wanted to change things up a bit. This year for Valentine’s Day we will be having these Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes!
Looking for more Valentine’s Day treats? Check these out!
- Heart Shaped Meringue Cookies
- Valentine’s Day Popcorn
- Heart Bacon
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry French Toast
- Fruit Love Bugs
- Heart Quesadilla
- Egg in a Heart Toast
Tips for Making the best cupcakes
Do not over mix. Over mixing the batter will lead to having tough cupcakes. Just mix the ingredients until they are mixed together.
Allow cupcakes to cool completely before filling and frosting. If you frost cupcakes while they are still warm then the frosting will melt. You also want them to be cool when you are cutting the center out so you can fill it with the cherry pie filling.
Properly fill the piping bag with frosting. If you have never filled a pastry bag with frosting check out how to fill a pastry bag with frosting.
Pip frosting with a cupcake frosting swirl. If you have never made a cupcake frosting swirl, it is super easy to do. Check out how to make a frosting swirls on a cupcake to learn how.
Fill the cupcake liners appropriately. You do not want to over fill the cupcake liners. Follow the directions for the specific cupcake recipe, if the recipe doesn’t tell you how full stick to the 2/3 full rule. Which is roughly 3 tablespoons of cupcake batter per cupcake liner.
Use the best kitchen tool for filling liners. If you are working with a thick cupcake batter then you want to use a spoon or a cookie scoop to fill the cupcake liners. If it is a thin cupcake batter then use a bowl with a spout or a glass measuring cup to pour in the batter.
How to tell when cupcakes are done baking
I like to use the toothpick test when I am making cupcakes with the kids because it is easier for them to see and learn. But if you have been making cupcakes for a while you may not want to use that method.
If you are wanting an even easier method, the cupcake bounce done method as we call it is even easier. Pull the tray of cupcakes out from the oven and lightly press on a cupcake in the middle of the baking pan. If if bounces right back and no finger print is left behind then your cupcakes are done. If there is a finger print you need to bake them for a few more minutes.
Make your own chocolate covered cherries.
If you have never made chocolate covered cherries, they are so simple! It is a great task to have the kids do, if you are wanting to have them help in the kitchen. I learned from my mom when I was a kid. However it is very important to make sure you are using a good quality chocolate. Trust me on this, they will not be what you are expecting if you skimp on the chocolate! I prefer to use Ghirardelli dipping chocolate because it already has some oil added to it to make dipping easier for me. You can use fresh cherries or maraschino cherries for this recipe.
Melt chocolate with a double boiler.
Check out here to learn how to melt your chocolate with a double boiler, easiest way and I find it works much better then the microwave method. Of course you also need the best buttercream frosting for these, and there is nothing better then this chocolate buttercream recipe. This buttercream is rich and cream that will complement the cherries.
How to Store Cupcakes
It is best to store cupcakes in an airtight container on the counter. Cupcakes are best to be enjoyed with in 48 hours of making them. They won’t be bad to eat after 40 hours but they will start to dry out and not be as fresh.
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes Ingredients
- 24 Chocolate cupcakes
- 21 ounce Can of cherry pie filling
- Chocolate buttercream
- 24 jarred maraschino cherries
- 4 oz candy coating chocolate
How to Make Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes
Drain your cherries on a plate that is lined with paper towels.
Melt your chocolate using the Double Boiler Chocolate Method
Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Dip your cherries into your chocolate then place it on your sheet pan. Place your cherries in the fridge to set.
Using a paring knife, cut a hole out of the top of the cupcake and remove part of the cupcake cake.
Take a small spoon and place the cherries into the hole.
Pipe your buttercream on top of your cupcakes. I think they look best using the cupcake swirl.
Top each cupcake with a chocolate covered cherry.
Love cupcakes? Check these out!
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter And Jelly Cupcakes
- Salted Caramel Cupcakes
- Andes Mints Cupcakes
- Chocolate Caramel Turtle Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes Ingredients
Chocolate buttercream ingredients
Chocolate Cupcakes Ingredients
How to make chocolate buttercream
- In the bowl of your mixer beat the butter on medium speed until nice and creamy.
- Turn the mixer down to the lowest setting and slowly incorporate the powdered sugar and cocoa powder into the butter.
- Once you have added all the sugar to the mix add the heavy cream, vanilla and salt. Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and continue mixing for 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
How to Make chocolate cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.
- Put paper liners in your cupcake pans or you can use silicone, whichever ones you prefer.
- In a bowl whisk together the hot brewed coffee and cocoa, until dissolved and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl place the butter and sugars.
- Beat on medium-high speed of your mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs one at a time. Mix in the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions alternating with the coffee-cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Mix each addition just until incorporated, being careful not to over mix.
- Divide the batter between the prepared liners, filling each about two-thirds of the way full.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pans briefly, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling make your buttercream frosting.
How to Make Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes
- Bake your chocolate cupcakes, and let them cool. While they are cooling make your chocolate buttercream frosting.
- Drain your cherries on a plate that is lined with paper towels.
- Melt your chocolate using the Double Boiler Chocolate Method
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Dip your cherries into your chocolate then place it on your sheet pan. Place your cherries in the fridge to set.
- Using a paring knife, cut a hole out of the top of the cupcake and remove part of the cupcake cake.
- Take a small spoon and place the cherries into the hole.
- Pipe your buttercream on top of your cupcakes. I think they look best using the cupcake swirl.
- Top each cupcake with a chocolate covered cherry.
16 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving on the Freestyle Program.
More Recipes You will Love!