Lemon blueberry cupcakes are the perfect light and fluffy cupcake. Loaded with blueberries these lemon cupcakes are the perfect cupcake to make when you are wanting a light and sweet cupcake. Top with homemade buttercream and some blueberries for a bakery style cupcake that is easy to make at home.
Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
Lemon blueberry cupcakes are one of my current favorite cupcake recipes. They are light and fluffy and full of flavor. Not much beats biting into a fluffy cupcake and also getting a juicy blueberry in the bite too.
Make your cupcakes, and while they are baking make some frosting. Then frost them and add fresh blueberries and a little bit of lemon zest on top and you have one of the most amazing cupcakes ever.
Best Frosting For Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
When decorating these cupcakes I like to use a white buttercream frosting, top them with more fresh blueberries and a little bit of lemon zest. If you want to get even fancier then you can even sprinkle them with a little bit of lemon sugar after frosting them.
There are a few different frosting flavors that pair well with blueberry cupcakes. When I made them this time I used cream cheese frosting but I also like using lemon buttercream frosting or vanilla buttercream.
How to Make Lemon Zest
Making lemon zest is easy, all you need is a fresh lemon and a citrus grater. Gently rub the lemon with the peel on the grater to remove only the yellow part of the peel.
Tips for Making Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
Bring ingredients to room temperature. These cupcakes will bake best when the ingredients are brought to room temperature before mixing the cupcake batter.
Allow cupcakes to cool completely. Before frosting the cupcakes let them cool completely. If you frost cupcakes while they are still warm then the frosting will melt.
Do not over mix. Over mixing the batter will lead to having tough and flat cupcakes. When making these angel food cake cupcakes you have to be careful that you don’t over mix the batter when you are folding in the flour mixture. If you over-mix your angel food cake batter your cupcakes will turn out flat.
Use Lemon Extract or Lemon Zest. If you do not have any fresh lemons to make lemon zest then you can use lemon extract instead.
How to Store Cupcakes
It is best to store cupcakes in an airtight container on the counter. Cupcakes are best to be enjoyed with in 48 hours of making them. They won’t be bad to eat after 40 hours but they will start to dry out and not be as fresh.
Can Cupcakes be frozen?
Yes they can. You will want to freeze them without any frosting on them. Wrap them individually with plastic wrap and freeze on a baking sheet. Then once they are solid store in a zip close freezer bag. They will keep for up to 2 months when frozen.
To thaw, simply remove them from the freezer and defrost. Then frost as normal.
Can I use Frozen Blueberries?
Yes you can. When using frozen do not defrost them. You will also end up with more blue tint to your cupcakes then when you use fresh but they will still taste delicious!
Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup half & half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350*F and line pan with cupcake liners.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt whisk to mix everything together and set aside.
Add butter to a small bowl and microwave for 30-45 seconds until it is melted.
In a medium bowl, add the white granulated sugar and the brown sugar. Add in the melted butter and whisk together. Using a grater and a fresh lemon make the lemon zest into a bowl.
Add the egg, sour cream, half & half, vanilla bean paste, and lemon zest to the bowl with the melted butter and sugar and mix well.
Combine wet and dry ingredients into the largest bowl.
Once all combined gently add the blueberries and fold them into the cupcake batter.
Using a scooper add the blueberry cupcake batter to the cupcake liners in the cupcake pan.
Bake for about 20 minutes.
Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Blueberry bread
- Greek Yogurt Blueberry muffins
- Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping
- Blueberry Syrup
- Mini blueberry muffins
- Blueberry, Strawberry and Raspberry muffins
- Watermelon and Blueberry fruit salad
Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350*F and line pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt whisk to mix everything together and set aside.
- Add butter to a small bowl and microwave for 30-45 seconds until it is melted.
- In a medium bowl, add the white granulated sugar and the brown sugar. Add in the melted butter and whisk together. Using a grater and a fresh lemon make the lemon zest into a bowl.
- Add the egg, sour cream, half & half, vanilla bean paste, and lemon zest to the bowl with the melted butter and sugar and mix well.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients into the largest bowl.
- Once all combined gently add the blueberries and fold them into the cupcake batter.
- Using a scooper add the blueberry cupcake batter to the cupcake liners in the cupcake pan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Looking for more tasty recipes? Check these out!
- Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
- Blackberry Cupcakes
- Boston Cream Cupcakes
- Homemade pancakes
- Best Apple pie
- Alfredo Sauce Recipe
- Microwave Sweet Potato
- Cheeseburger Soup