This cream cheese frosting is perfect for decorating cakes and cupcakes. This easy to make frosting takes less then 10 minutes to make and holds shape perfectly for decorating.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream cheese frosting is an easy to make frosting that is fluffy, sweet and perfect for cakes and cupcakes. This cream cheese frosting is sweet but not to sweet and has the perfect vanilla flavor.
Cream cheese frosting cupcake is perfect for decorating cupcakes and this recipe will make enough for 12 cupcakes. If you are wanting to decorate a cake you totally can with this recipe, but I suggest doubling the recipe when making an 8 inch cake so you have enough frosting to frost the cake and decorate the cake with boarders.
Tips for Making Cream Cheese Frosting
Room temperature ingredients. It is important that the butter and cream cheese are room temperature before mixing them.
Decorating with Frosting. This homemade frosting is perfect for decorating cakes and cupcakes. It is the perfect texture to spread on a cake and also the perfect texture to pip on cupcakes with a piping bag. You can get vibrant colors really easily also with this frosting recipe.
When you are decorating cupcakes you will want to use a piping bag and make the fancy frosting cupcake swirl. Piping icing is super easy, if you have never used a piping bag, check out how to fill a piping bag.
How to Color Frosting
Coloring frosting is easy to do. All you need is a few drops of food coloring that you will add in to the buttercream frosting after you are done the first mixing. I highly recommend using gel food coloring. The liquid food coloring I find adds to much liquid to the buttercream and makes it kind of soggy.
What cupcakes go with cream cheese frosting?
There are lots of cupcakes that pair well with this frosting. My favorite is making Lemon Blueberry cupcakes. You can also pair cream cheese frosting with red velvet cupcakes, strawberry cupcakes, chocolate cupcakes and blueberry cupcakes.
Can I make Cream Cheese Frosting ahead of time?
You can make cream cheese frosting ahead of time. If you are storing it to use at a later time, it needs to be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. After storing it in the fridge, remove from the fridge and bring to room temperature on the counter for about an hour. If you need to refluff is, put it in a bowl and use a hand mixer or a stand mixer.
How to Store Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream cheese frosting always needs to be stored in the fridge. If you have decorated cupcakes with it, you will also need to store them in the fridge in an airtight container. When it is time to serve cupcakes with, remove them from the fridge and let them warm up for 10 minutes or so before serving.
Cream Cheese frosting Ingredients
- Cream cheese. Full fat brick of cream cheese is important. You can not make this easy with low-fat or fat-free cream cheese. It also needs to be a brick, not the whipped cream cheese. It also needs to be room temperature.
- Butter. Unsalted butter is the best to use when you are making this frosting. You also want it to be room temperature. These 2 things are important in making fluffy cream cheese frosting.
- Powdered sugar. Powdered sugar is important when making frosting. Granulated sugar will not work when making frosting.
- Heavy cream. If you do not have heavy cream you can use half and half.
- Vanilla bean paste. You do not want to use vanilla extract. In most of my frosting recipes I use vanilla exact, but in this one it is super important to use vanilla bean paste.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
Bring butter and cream cheese to room temperature.
In a bowl add the softened cream cheese and softened butter. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer and beat the butter and the cream cheese until mixed well.
Once mixed add the sugar, vanilla bean paste, salt and heavy cream and keep mixing for 10 minutes until the frosting is fluffy.
Use frosting to decorate cupcakes or a cake as desired or store until using.
Looking for more frosting recipes? Check these out and don’t miss this awesome list of cupcake frosting recipes including:
- Chocolate Buttercream
- Blackberry Buttercream Frosting
- Pink Lemonade Frosting
- Peanutbutter Buttercream Frosting
- Mint Buttercream
- Caramel buttercream
- Raspberry buttercream
- Mocha buttercream
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- Bring butter and cream cheese to room temperature.
- In a bowl add the softened cream cheese and softened butter. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer and beat the butter and the cream cheese until mixed well.
- Once mixed add the sugar, vanilla bean paste, salt and heavy cream and keep mixing for 10 minutes until the frosting is fluffy.
Love cupcakes? Check these out!