This Lemon Buttercream Frosting is a smooth, sweet and tangy homemade buttercream frosting that is perfect for frosting cupcakes, frosting cakes and fillings!
Lemon Buttercream Frosting
I love all things flavored lemon. One of my favorite drinks is homemade lemonade. Lemon is such a refreshing and light flavor that is perfect for the spring and summer months. This lemon buttercream frosting recipe is the perfect frosting for a spring or summer dessert cupcake or cake!
Cakes, cupcakes and buttercream frosting are things we love around here. I don’t like having to go to a bakery and I can not stand grocery store cakes so I like to make everything cake, cupcake and frosting related at home.
I have been working on getting the rest of my homemade buttercream frosting recipes on the blog for you guys too so you do not have to go to a bakery or a grocery store either. Cakes, cupcakes and frosting taste so much better when you make them at home.
I have a whole bunch more frosting recipes that are coming up soon that I have been waiting to share with you and ran out of time. And I hope you love them as much as I do! I also hope that it will save you from having to spend a ton of money going to a bakery for a cake!
Homemade Buttercream Frosting Recipes
- Chocolate buttercream frosting
- Strawberry Buttercream
- marshmallow buttercream
- vanilla buttercream
- Peanut Butter Buttercream
- Chocolate Raspberry buttercream
- Peanut butter buttercream
- Almond Buttercream Frosting
- Raspberry buttercream Frosting
What Flavor Cupcake Goes with Lemon Buttercream?
My go to cupcakes to use with Lemon buttercream frosting are blueberry cupcakes, vanilla cupcakes or strawberry cupcakes. If you love my strawberry lemonade cupcakes, then you will love the flavor combo of strawberry cupcakes with lemon buttercream frosting.
If you really want to add a pop of fun when you are making cupcakes with lemon frosting, add a sprinkle of lemon flavored sugar on top of them.
How to Store Buttercream frosting
The buttercream can be stored at room temperature for up to three days or in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
How to rewhip buttercream frosting after storing
When you bring it out of the refrigerator let it sit at room temperature for two hours. Then re-whip it for ten minutes to bring it back to life.
Supplies to make this recipe
- Stand Mixer.
- Silicone Spatula
- Piping Bags (for frosting cupcakes)
- Angled spatula if decorating a cake
Lemon Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- confectioners sugar.
- fresh lemon juice.
- vanilla extract. You can use store bought or homemade vanilla extract.
How to make Lemon Buttercream Frosting
Place your butter and shortening together in the bowl of your mixer. Mix them together on medium speed until they are nice and creamy.
Turn the mixer down to the lowest setting and slowly incorporate the powdered sugar into the shortening mixture.
Once you have added all the powdered sugar in to your mixture, add in the vanilla extract and then the lemon juice.
Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and continue mixing for 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
Easy Lemon Recipes
- Watermelon Lemonade
- Lemon Raspberry cupcakes
- Strawberry Lemonade
- Blueberry Lemonade
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- Homemade lemonade
Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Place your butter and shortening together in the bowl of your mixer. Mix them together on medium speed until they are nice and creamy.
- Turn the mixer down to the lowest setting and slowly incorporate the powdered sugar into the shortening mixture.
- Once you have added all the powdered sugar in to your mixture, add in the vanilla extract and then the lemon juice.
- Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and continue mixing for 10 minutes until light and fluffy.