It is always fun to cut into a cake expecting to see a regular cake but instead something fun and festive like this bright colored Rainbow Cake. This technique can be done with any color combination, pick your favorite colors and make your rainbow cake personalized just the way you like it. I like to use gel color food coloring because you need a lot less to get a bright color without watering down the batter. This is a great homemade cake for kids Birthday Parties and is super easy to make and this How to make Homemade Rainbow Cake Recipe will help you make an amazingly fun cake with very little extra work!
Ingredients for Homemade Rainbow Cake Recipe
- Food coloring
- Yellow or white cake
To get started making this super fun Easy Homemade Colorful Rainbow Cake Recipe you are going to need some cake batter, whenever I am making a cake I always use my favorite cake, and Make a boxed cake mix taste homemade recipe. It is an easy recipe that uses boxed cake mix as a base like most bakeries do, and with a few ingredients you get an amazing cake!
When making homemade colorful rainbow cake you need to use a yellow cake mix or a white cake mix. You will not be able to see the colors if you use a different flavor of cake.
Homemade Swirl Rainbow Cake Recipe Directions:
- Make your cake batter, wether you are making your favorite cake recipe, a box cake or this homemade cake from a boxed cake mix recipe
- After your cake batter is made get 6 bowls and divide the cake batter evenly among them.
- Add food dye to each bowl to get your desired color. For yellow I don’t add any color since the batter is already yellow, but you can make it a brighter yellow by adding the coloring. If you are wanting orange, use yellow food dye and make it a bright yellow then add in a few drops of red food coloring. If you want purple and you do not have it then use equal drops of red and blue food coloring.
- Once all of your batter is the colors you wanted and mixed well, get out your baking pan. Grease (I spray mine with PAM) the baking pan and then take your the first color you want to use and drizzle it in a squiggly design in the pan, using only half of the cake batter from the bowl. Repeat the squiggly design in the pan, using only half of the cake batter from each bowl of colored cake mix. Then repeat with the rest of the cake mix until all your cake mix is in the cake pan.
- Once all of your cake batter is in your cake pan, bake your cake according to the directions for the recipe you are using.
- Once the cake is done let cool and icing and decorate as you wish and then when people cut into the rainbow cake they will be meet with a fun colorful rainbow cake. I suggest using this awesome Homemade Butter Cream Icing Recipe or this
More Great Recipes:
Printable Directions for Rainbow Cake
Homemade Colorful Rainbow Cake RecipePin Recipe Print Recipe
- Yellow cake mix – a box mix or your favorite homemade recipe
- Food Coloring
- You want to separate you cake batter into six equal portions.
- Add food dye to each bowl to get your desired color. For yellow I don’t add any color since the batter is already yellow.
- Pour half of each color into your pan.
- Once you have gone through all the colors start again with the rest of the batter.
- Bake the cake as the per the directions.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here