As always, since everyone’s goals or preferences are different, it’s important to read the ingredient and nutrition labels to see if the product fits into your macros.
WHAT IS TRADER JOE’S?
Trader Joe’s is a popular American specialty grocery chain with a variety of fresh produce and healthy signature food items. It has been voted one of the top food markets to shop at since you can find lots of bargains and unique products that you don’t see anywhere else.
WHY WE LOVE TRADER JOE’S
My kids are crazy about Trader Joe’s since it’s such a fun place to shop. They have mini shopping carts for kids and have free juice and coffee for the adults as well as tasty samples (sometimes it’s the infamous cauliflower gnocchi) to munch on while you shop.
TRADER JOE’S SECRET SHOPPING TIPS:
Shop during off-peak hours – Trader Joe’s tends to be the busiest on Saturday afternoons, so it’s best to avoid the store on those days if you want to avoid the crowds and ensure that your favorite products are in stock. View Location Here By State
They have a great return policy – Not happy with your purchase. You can return the product with your receipt for a full refund – no questions asked.
Get the best bang for your buck on their extensive frozen food section – stock up on frozen foods.
Fun fact – did you know that Trader Joe’s is happy to let customers “try before you buy” their ready-to-eat goods in-store? All you have to do is ask a store associate.
Shop their Fearless Flyer for the latest in-store deals and specials.
Stock up on popular items. If you’re a fan of Trader Joe’s cauliflower pizza crust, Everything But the Bagel Seasoning, Sweet Chili Sauce, pancake bread & cauliflower gnocchi, those are usually the first to go so it’s a good idea to stock up if they fit your macros.
Our Favorite Keto and Low Carb goodies at Trader Joes
Avocado is my #1 keto snack of choice. It’s full of healthy fats and the perfect way to get fiber and potassium into your diet. And if you don’t feel like making your own guacamole – Trader Joe’s has a ton of guacamole with no added sugars.
Nuts, almond flour, and chia seeds
Trader Joe’s has a large variety of their in house nuts and seeds and it’s usually cheaper than other brands – especially the roasted Macadamia Nuts for making these Chocolate Macadamia Nut Clusters (Low Carb and Keto Friendly!)
Chomps beef and turkey meat sticks
These snack sticks are basically a healthy grass-fed version of the Slim Jim. But with real ingredients. They work great if you’re looking for a high protein, low carb snack
Ghee / Clarified Butter
Ghee is highly-clarified butter that has less lactose because the milk solids have been removed. We use it to cook eggs, saute vegetables and baking. If you prefer to make your own Ghee, we have an Easy How To Make GheeRecipe for you Here
My Trader Joe’s carries ghee at a great price so we always stock up.
Organic Coconut Aminos is a low-glycemic, vegan, low carb, Whole30, paleo and gluten-free alternative to soy sauce. It is made from the aged sap of coconut blossoms and salt and is one of my favorite Trader Joe’s products. They have it for such a great price so we always stock up on this as well.
Organic Oven Roasted Turkey
Their in-house brand is comparable to Applegate with only 2 ingredients – free-range turkeys with no added hormones, no nitrates, and no antibiotics.
Trader Joe’s is one of the cheapest places where you can buy frozen grass-fed meat. They have great prices on burgers and this ground beef
All-natural game meat snacks that are healthy, natural, and a perfect keto-approved snack.
Nut butter and seed butter
And if you’re looking for peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter or sun butter, Trader Joe’s has an awesome collection with no added sugars.
We always get the no added sugar sunflower seed butter for the kids to take to school and my personal favorite has to be the Mixed Nut Butter with roasted cashews, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, walnuts, and pecans.
My husband is a total salsa freak and people are always asking us which Trader Joe’s salsa is the best? Although the Pepita Salsa is a top contender, his other favorites are the Salsa Verde, Salsa Autentica and Chunky Salsa.
They’re fresh and flavorful with a great ingredient list. Of course, you can always make your own with Trader Joe’s Fresh Avocados like this Spicy Avocado Dip (Chunky & Perfect for Dipping!)
Green Goddess Salad Dressing
This is by far the best salad dressing you can find in a bottle. It tastes fresh and has clean ingredients. It’s perfect on any salad, eggs, chicken, steak and over zucchini noodles – it’s Whole30, keto and paleo.
Frozen vegetables and frozen berries
- rainbow cauliflower – add to stir-fries, roast in the oven or air fryer
- Brussels sprouts – roast in the oven or the air fryer
- green vegetable foursome
- zucchini spirals – perfect in Zucchini Noodles with Shrimp
- organic strawberries – yummy for snacking or Keto Smoothie Bowls
- raspberries – great for smoothies and snacking
- traditional carnitas – a convenient low carb protein option for the husband
- chicken sausage – convenient low carb protein option
- uncured bacon – a convenient low carb protein option
- sliced Proscuitto – for cheeseboards or a snack
- pork belly – a convenient low carb protein option
- grass-fed beef sirloin roast – a convenient low carb protein option
- roast chicken breast – for adding to salads
Trader Joe’s has an extensive collection of high-quality raw cheese and goes perfectly if you’re planning on putting together an epic Cheese Board.
Oven-Baked Cheese Bites
And if you’re looking for travel-friendly cheese on the go, these crackers are also great options and are made from 100% cheese.
Frozen foods and other convenient Trader Joe’s products we love:
- Premium Salmon Burgers – clean ingredients, tastes delicious, high in protein & low in carbs
- Tuna Burgers – clean ingredients, tastes delicious
- Mahi Mahi Burgers – clean ingredients, tastes delicious
- Turkey Burgers – clean ingredients, tastes delicious, high in protein & low in carbs
- Chili Lime Chicken Burgers – clean ingredients, tastes delicious, high in protein & low in carbs
- Shrimp – toss it on the grill and add it to salads or tacos
- Chicken Thigh Meat – toss it in the Instant Pot for Instant Pot Lemon Chicken with Garlic
- Wings – great in the air fryer for the kids and the husband
Easy Keto Snacks We Love
- seasoned kale chips – clean ingredients & a crispy & healthier alternative for when you’re craving chips
- broccoli florets – clean ingredients & a crispy & healthier alternative for when you’re craving chips
- crispy okra – clean ingredients & a crispy & healthier alternative for when you’re craving chips
- freeze-dried blueberries, strawberries, raspberries – no sugar added & great for the kids’ lunchboxes or topping on keto oatmeal
Keto Snacks Link
- roasted coconut chips – great for making keto granola and adding as a topping to keto oatmeal
- coconut chips – great for making keto granola and adding as a topping to keto oatmeal
- organic coconut flakes – great for making keto granola bars, no-bake cookies, keto granola and adding as a topping to keto oatmeal
Fresh Vegetables / Fruit
Trader Joe’s has a diverse selection of organic fruits and vegetables at a great price. I love their convenient salad mixes and prewashed vegetables.
Also, don’t forget to check out their conveniently prepared fresh foods: With pre-sliced fruits and veggies, you can find a fresh snack on the go!
DOES TRADER JOE’S SELL MEAT?
Trader Joe’s has a small section of fresh meat and seafood. It works in a pinch if you’re already in there and don’t want to make another stop. But the prices are so much more expensive than Costco and the packages don’t have a ton in them.
Other Keto Foods to Avoid at Trader Joe’s
So here are some of the things you shouldn’t buy at Trader Joe’s:
Dried Figs – high in sugar and carbs
Dried Beets, Dried Parsnips – high carb snacks that could kick you out of ketosis if you go overboard
Broccoli Crust Pizza – contains high carb flours
Cauliflower Pizza Crust – contains high carb flours – you can check out our Low Carb Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipe Here as a better option
Healthy Organic Juices and Drinks – many of these are sweetened with organic sugar, agave or other “healthy” sweeteners that will have an impact on your blood sugar.
Protein Bars and Drinks – many snack bars and drinks are marketed “keto-friendly” these days but that doesn’t mean they are. Many of these products are high in carbs and with a long list of questionable ingredients.
Low Fat Yogurt or Yogurt Covered Anything – many of the low-fat yogurts are full of sugar. If you’re craving yogurt, choose a brand that is high in protein, full-fat and low in carbs. Kite Hill – plain is an option for an occasional treat.
Veggie Straws or Corn Tortilla Chips – Trader Joe’s has a massive selection of chips and sweets. However, many of them are made with high carb fillers and sweetened with weird ingredients and harsh on your digestive system
A few other keto grocery haul/shopping guides you may enjoy: