Salted caramel hot chocolate bombs are a tasty combination of hot chocolate and salted caramel. With the perfect hint of salted caramel flavor, this salted caramel hot cocoa bomb recipe is simple to make and will be loved by all.
Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
Yes we have another new hot chocolate bomb recipe. This time I have come up with a Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipe. I love salted caramel things especially, salted caramel cupcakes and I love hot chocolate so I wanted to come up with a salted caramel hot chocolate bomb to enjoy.
While normally with a hot chocolate bomb you use chocolate for the bombshell. With this Salted Caramel hot chocolate bombs recipe instead of a chocolate sphere for this recipe we use caramel candy melt wafers to make the outer shell. Inside is packed with hot chocolate mix, marshmallows and a caramel. To finish off the hot chocolate bomb a drizzle of caramel melts, a sprinkle of sea salt and a caramel are added on top.
When I enjoy this hot chocolate bomb recipe and make a cup of hot chocolate with them I love topping it with whipped cream and caramel sauce to make it extra sweet.
If you are just getting started with making hot chocolate bombs make sure to check out my how to make hot chocolate bombs post with all the information and tips and tricks to making hot chocolate bombs.
What is a Hot Chocolate Bomb?
A hot chocolate bomb is a fun and creative way to make a cup of hot chocolate. It’s a spherical or domed chocolate shell filled with hot cocoa mix and often other ingredients like marshmallows, chocolate chips, or flavorings.
They are often decorated with colorful drizzles or sprinkles, making them not only tasty but also a visually appealing treat. You can find them in various flavors and designs, making them a versatile and fun way to enjoy a classic winter beverage.
Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipes
- Santa Hot chocolate Bombs
- Gingerbread house hot chocolate bombs
- Easter Bunny Hot chocolate Bombs
- Heart Shaped hot chocolate bombs
- Unicorn Hot chocolate Bombs
- Peppermint Hot chocolate bombs
What Supplies do I need to make Hot Chocolate Bombs?
There are some important supplies to be sure you have for when you are making homemade hot chocolate bombs.
Silicone sphere molds. These molds are essential for creating the spherical shape of the hot chocolate bombs. This is the mold that I use.
Small spoon. Use a spoon to coat the molds evenly with melted chocolate. You will need a small spoon to fill the molds with the hot chocolate mix and mini marshmallows.
Microwave-safe bowl. To melt the candy melts you will need a bowl that you can use in the microwave.
Why do you use chocolate melting chips for hot chocolate bombs?
Using chocolate melting chips or candy melts instead of regular chocolate when making hot chocolate bombs offers a few advantages along with making things easier. Personally, because I make these with my kids I want things as easy as possible. I also want things to be as easy as possible for anyone who is finding this recipe and may not have as much experience working with chocolate. Here are a few reasons why making hot chocolate bombs with candy melts or melting chips is better for beginners:
Consistent Texture. Melting chips are designed to have a consistent texture and are specifically formulated to melt smoothly and evenly. There is no need to worry about what the texture will be when the chocolate is melted.
Ease of Use: Melting chips are convenient to work with, as they melt at a controlled temperature, reducing the risk of overheating or burning the chocolate.
Wider Range of Colors and Flavors. Melting chips come in a variety of colors and flavors, offering versatility and creativity.
Tips for Making Hot Chocolate Bombs
Make sure the candy melts are fully melted. You want to make sure the caramel candy melts are smoothly melted before you use it in the chocolate molds to make this Salted Caramel hot chocolate bombs recipe. You can microwave per the directions on the package or melt the chocolate with a double boiler.
Allow the chocolate to harden fully. When you are placing the chocolate in the freezer to harden back up it is important. You need to let it fully harden or you will have issues removing it from the molds, and you will have issues with the chocolate bombs falling apart.
Use the right type of mold. If you are using chocolate then you can use acrylic molds or silicone molds, if you are using candy melts then it is a must to use silicone molds.
Make the sphere edges smooth. If the edges of the chocolate cups are not even, heat a plate or a flat-bottom bowl in the microwave until the surface of the plate is warm to the touch. Press the empty chocolate bomb halves open-side-down onto the flat portion of the warm plate for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup and even it out.
Variations of this Recipe
Change up the Drizzle. For this recipe, I use a caramel drizzle on top of the bombs but you can change it up and use a milk chocolate drizzle, white chocolate drizzle or a dark chocolate drizzle on top.
Use Caramel bits. Instead of using caramels, you can use caramel bits both inside the hot cocoa bomb and on the outside.
Add more hot chocolate mix. I use 2 tablespoons of hot chocolate poweder in them, but if you want a richer flavored hot chocolate then you can put 3 tablespoons of hot chocolate mix in the cocoa bomb shells.
How do you make Hot Chocolate with Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Using a hot chocolate bomb to make hot chocolate is easy.
- Place the hot chocolate bomb in a mug.
- Heat up milk (or a milk alternative) until it’s hot but not boiling.
- Pour the hot milk over the hot chocolate bomb in the mug.
- As the hot milk makes contact with the chocolate shell, it begins to melt, causing the shell to open up and release the hot cocoa mix and any additional fillings inside.
- Stir the mixture until the hot cocoa mix is fully dissolved and any other ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Enjoy your delicious and creamy cup of hot chocolate!
How Much Hot Milk do I need?
Depending on the size hot chocolate bomb you are using you will want 8 ounces – 12 ounces of milk. For these, I suggest using 8 ounces of hot milk.
How to Store Hot Chocolate Bombs
Allow the DIY chocolate bombs to set completely after you have made them. Then store in an airtight container until you’re ready to use. If you are giving DIY hot chocolate bombs as a gift you can put them in plastic wrap or plastic containers.
How long do hot chocolate bombs last?
Homemade Hot chocolate bombs will keep fresh for up to 2 months if stored in an airtight container in a cool place. You can store them in the fridge if you want to and I suggest doing so if your house is really warm.
Hot Chocolate Recipes
- Hot chocolate cookies
- Whipped hot chocolate
- Hot Chocolate Spoons
- Marshmallow hot chocolate cups
- Caramel Hot Chocolate
- Pink Hot Chocolate
- Keto hot Chocolate
- Halloween Hot Chocolate
- Italian Hot Chocolate
- Slow Cooker hot chocolate
- Starbucks Hot Chocolate
- Peppermint Hot chocolate spoons
Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa Bombs Ingredients
Salted Caramel Candy Melts. You want to use candy melts for this recipe as we have made it simple for those who do not have much experience working with chocolate to be able to make them.
Hot Cocoa powder Mix. You can use milk chocolate hot chocolate powder mix, dark chocolate hot chocolate mix or if you want everything to be salted caramel you can use salted caramel hot chocolate.
Mini Marshmallows. You can use large marshmallows or homemade marshmallows if you want to.
Salt. Coarse ground is best, I suggest using flaky sea salt.
Caramel Candies. I prefer to use soft caramel candies inside the hot chocoalte bombs and on top of them.
How to Make Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa Bombs
Place salted caramel-flavored candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl and melt in the microwave. I find it best to microwave them in 30-second intervals and stir in between.
Once the caramel candy melts are melted spoon it into the silicone sphere molds. Be sure to have the shell layer even.
Place the molds into the freezer to harden.
Once the spheres are hardened, remove them from the freezer and remove the chocolate shells from the mold.
Smooth the halves if needed using a warm plate and the instructions above.
Add the hot cocoa mix, mini marshmallows, and caramel candy into 6 sphere halves.
Heat a plate or a flat-bottom bowl in the microwave until the surface of the plate is warm to the touch. Press one of the empty chocolate bomb halves open-side-down onto the flat portion of the warm plate for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup.
Press the 2 half spheres together to form the salted caramel chocolate bomb.
Reheat the caramel candy melts if needed and then add the melted caramel to a piping bag. Drizzle the melted caramel on top of each hot chocolate bomb and then place half of a piece of caramel on top and then sprinkle with salt.
Place the hot cocoa bombs on a plate and then into the freezer for 5 minutes to get them to set, then remove and store in an airtight container until you’re ready to use.
Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
- 2 cups Salted Caramel Flavored Candy Melts
- 12 tablespoons Hot Cocoa Mix
- 2 Cups Mini Marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons Table Salt coarse ground is best
- 9 Unwrapped Caramel Candies
- Place salted caramel flavored candy melts in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave per the directions on the package.
- Pour melted candy melt into one half of a bomb mold and, using the bottom of your tablespoon measuring spoon, press the chocolate up the sides of the mold, keeping it thick but even. Repeat with 12 bomb mold halves. Reserve the remaining melted chocolate.
- Place the chocolate filled bomb molds into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove molds from the freezer and gently peel the silicone away from the chocolate cups.
- If the edges of the chocolate cups are not even, heat a plate or a flat-bottom bowl in the microwave until the surface of the plate is warm to the touch. Press one of the empty chocolate bomb halves open-side-down onto the flat portion of the warm plate for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup and even it out. Repeat with all of the chocolate cups, as necessary.
- Fill 6 of the molds with 2 tablespoons hot cocoa mix, 5-10 mini marshmallows, and a caramel candy for added caramel tastiness.
- Heat a plate or a flat-bottom bowl in the microwave until the surface of the plate is warm to the touch. Press one of the empty chocolate bomb halves open-side-down onto the flat portion of the warm plate for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup.
- Immediately press this warmed edge chocolate cup to the top of one of the filled cups. This will join the two halves of the hot cocoa bomb.
- With the reserved chocolate, drizzle a little bit of the melted chocolate on top of each hot cocoa bomb and immediately add a teaspoon of salt on top of the drizzle chocolate.
- Place the hot cocoa bombs into the freezer for 5 minutes to get them to set, then remove and store in an airtight container until you’re ready to use.
Viral Tik Tok Recipes you will love
Lots of hot recipes are popping up on Tik Tok that are so much fun and super tasty to make.
Olive Garden Chicken. Dump it all in the crockpot and let it cook, then mix with pasta for a chicken crockpot recipe the whole family will love.
Whipped Strawberry milk. Strawberry milk taken up a notch, whipped and beautiful while having the most amazing strawberry milk flavor.
Smoked Queso. Easy to make queso that is cheesy and delicious and made on the grill!
Whipped Matcha. Easy to make matcha latte that is not only beautiful but tasty to drink!
Whipped Hot Chocolate. Hot chocolate gets even better when it is whipped into a beautiful drink!
Dalgona Coffee. Coffee is life for me and it is even more fun when it is whipped coffee, hot or cold!
Keto Dalgona Coffee. The keto version of the hot trending viral coffee that is perfect for anyone on a low carb or keto diet.
Mocha Dalgona Coffee. Making whipped coffee even better, with coffee, hot chocolate and heavy cream being the only ingredients you need!