This Sugar Free Chocolate Buttercream is the perfect sugar free chocolate frosting recipe. If you are making sugar free cupcakes (also works for keto cupcakes and low carb cupcakes) then you are going to want an amazing sugar free chocolate frosting.
Sugar Free Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
For me it is important that my sugar free icing recipes taste like my sugar loaded icing recipes. One of my favorite frostings is my chocolate buttercream frosting. It was important to me that when making a sugar free chocolate buttercream frosting that I didn’t lose the flavor I love so much about my chocolate frosting that I have made for years.
I don’t believe that just because I am cutting out the carbs and sugar when making sweets that flavor should be lacking. So any of the sweet treats recipes that I share with you are up to par flavor wise with their sugar using originals.
If you are just now getting started with low carb, or this is your first time making a low carb frosting recipe, then you are probably asking yourself, How to make chocolate frosting without sugar?. It is actually really easy and instead of sugar you will use a sugar substitute and a few other ingredients.
When you are using a sugar substitute, the body doesn’t digest or absorb it but you still get the sweetness you want in a dessert or keto frosting recipe. However it is important to remember that while this frosting is a keto friendly frosting, a low carb frosting and a sugar free frosting that it is still a dessert recipe.
Many sugar free frosting recipes include things like maple syrup for the sweetener, that is not a keto friendly, low carb friendly or sugar free option really because it is loaded with carbs. You do not have to worry about that with this sugar free chocolate frosting recipe this is a keto chocolate frosting recipe.
Sugar Free Frosting Recipes
Of course you can not have a naked cupcake or cake, so you are going to want a tasty frosting recipe to use on top of them. Here are some of my other favorite sugar free frosting recipes.
- Sugar Free Vanilla Buttercream
- Sugar free caramel Frosting
- Sugar Free Cream Cheese Frosting
- Sugar Free Strawberry Frosting
What Sugar Free cupcakes go with Sugar Free Chocolate Frosting?
This low carb chocolate frosting recipe is perfect on sugar free cupcakes. If you are looking for a sugar free cupcake recipe be sure to check out the sugar free vanilla cupcakes and Sugar free chocolate cupcakes.
Decorating with Sugar Free Frosting
When you are decorating cupcakes you will want to use a piping bag and make the fancy cupcake swirl. Piping icing is super easy, if you have never used a piping bag, check out how to fill a piping bag. If you are new to baking and decorating cupcakes, check out how to make a cupcake swirl.
How long can buttercream frosting sit out?
I store my buttercream in the fridge and then rewhip it when I want to use it. If you have already frosted a cake or cupcakes this buttercream frosting can sit out for up to 3 days.
How many days in advanced can I make Buttercream frosting?
You can make this buttercream frosting 3 days in advanced of when you want to use it and store it at room temperature. You can make this buttercream frosting up to 2 weeks ahead of time if you are going to store it in the fridge.
How to Store Buttercream frosting
The buttercream can be stored at room temperature for up to three days or in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Store the buttercream in an airtight container.
How to rewhip buttercream frosting after storing
When you bring it out of the refrigerator let it sit at room temperature for two hours. Then re-whip it for ten minutes to bring it back to life.
Can you Freeze Buttercream Frosting?
You can freeze chocolate buttercream frosting for up to 3 months. I suggest using a freezer bag or a plastic container. if you are using a freezer bag b sure to squeeze all of tee air out of the bag before putting it in the freezer.
Keto Chocolate Buttercream Ingredients
- swerve confectioner. If you do not like using swerve you can use a different powdered sweetener, however I have only made this keto chocolate frosting using swerve. When making this frosting powdered sweetener works just the same as confectioners sugar does in a frosting recipe that uses sugar.
- Heavy Whipping Cream.
- vanilla extract. I much prefer to use homemade vanilla then the store bought vanilla extract that you get in the store whenever I am baking.
- sugar-free chocolate chips. I personally always use lily’s chocolate chips in my baking. I find they have the best flavor when making anything with chocolate.
- cocoa powder. You want to use a quality cocoa powder, this one is my favorite.
How to make Sugar Free Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
This low carb chocolate frosting recipe makes enough for 12 cupcakes. There is 2g net carbs per serving.
Place your butter and swerve in the bowl of your mixer. Mix them together on low speed until the sugar is incorporated.
Mix in the heavy cream and the vanilla extract.
Place your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt the chocolate in 30-second intervals making sure to stir between each time until the chocolate is fully melted.
Pour the chocolate and cocoa powder into the buttercream.
Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and continue mixing for 6-8 minutes until light and fluffy.
Sugar Free Sweet Treats
Sugar Free Chocolate Buttercream
- Place your butter and swerve in the bowl of your mixer. Mix them together on low speed until the sugar is incorporated.
- Mix in the heavy cream and the vanilla extract.
- Place your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt the chocolate in 30-second intervals making sure to stir between each time until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Pour the chocolate and cocoa powder into the buttercream.
- Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and continue mixing for 6-8 minutes until light and fluffy.
This frosting is 9 SmartPoint on Weight Watchers Freestyle program. This is for the icing itself and does not include points for the cupcake.
Do yourself a favor and print out the How Many Pints in a Quart? and other liquid measurements printable to help you with your measurements in the kitchen! I have mine hanging on my fridge. It makes a super easy cheat sheet for whenever I am cooking and need to use liquid measurements.