Sausage Apple Stuffing is the perfect easy stuffing recipe. Loaded with fall flavors of apples, apple cider, onion, celery and maple sausage, this sausage stuffing is the perfect side dish. You can use this easy homemade stuffing recipe as a side dish for dinner or for stuffing a turkey.
Sausage Apple Stuffing
If you are looking for the best stuffing recipe then you want to make this apple sausage stuffing. One of my long time childhood friends shared this recipe for apple sausage stuffing with me years before food blogging was a thing. It was the only stuffing recipe she has ever made and has been in her family forever.
My dad has forever been the Thanksgiving chef in our family until I started having Thanksgiving at our house. When I started I stuck with the same recipes and foods that my Dad always made. As time went on I wanted to venture out and change things up and add some new things. This easy sausage and apple stuffing was one of the first things I made that was new for our Thanksgiving meal.
The year I told my dad I was going to change things up and make this apple and sausage stuffing for Thanksgiving. I could tell by his response that it was not exactly what he wanted me to make, but after dinner that Thanksgiving he told me it was an awesome stuffing. Ever since then I make a batch of this sausage stuffing and my dad’s favorite (which eventually I hope to get shared with you all) and if I am feeling extra motivated I also like to make Rosemary fresh bread stuffing.
Easy Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes
- Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Lemon Roasted Asparagus
- Green beans with bacon
- Cheesy Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- Pearl Onions In Cream Sauce
- Apple Cider Roast Brussel Sprouts
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- Oven Roasted Parmesan Asparagus
How to Use Homemade Stuffing
If you are wanting to have an awesome stuffing for turkey, chicken, or pork chops this is it. I love using this homemade sausage apple stuffing when stuffing our Thanksgiving turkey.
You can make this by baking it in the oven as a side dish on its own or skip the baking and stuff a turkey with it so it cooks while the turkey cooks if you are using it for a Thanksgiving turkey stuffing.
How to use this Stuffing recipe to stuff a turkey
If you are a turkey stuffer, you can totally use this recipe to make stuffing to stuff a turkey with. Follow the directions until you get to the baking step and instead of baking the dressing use it to stuff the turkey and it will cook while the turkey is cooking. When you are cooking the stuffing in a turkey you must use a meat thermometer to make sure the stuffing gets to 165°F.
Variations of this recipe
Add dried fruit. Dried cherries and dried cranberries are great additions to this stuffing.
Use ground sausage. My favorite sausage to use is the maple sausage links but you can also use ground sausage.
Add more veggies. You can also add carrots, bell peppers, and mushrooms if you want to.
Change up the sausage. You can also use turkey sausage or apple sausage if you do not like pork sausage.
Can I Make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes. You can make this dish ahead of time and wrap with plastic wrap and then remove the plastic wrap and bake later. It will keep in the fridge unbaked for 1-2 days.
How to store stuffing
Allow the stuffing to cool completely and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Sausage Apple Stuffing Ingredients
- Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing
- salted butter
- Apple Cider
- apple, chopped
- maple breakfast sausage links cooked
- Poultry Seasoning
How to Make Sausage Apple Stuffing
Cook the sausage links, you can heat them in the microwave or cook theme according to the package on the stove. Once cooked chop into pieces and set aside.
Wash and chop the apple and set it aside.
Over medium heat in a stockpot, melt the butter.
Once the butter is melted, turn the burner heat to low and add the dry stuffing mix and apple cider. Mix until the stuffing has absorbed the liquid and all of it is well moistened.
Add the chopped apple chopped celery, chopped onion, cooked sausage and poultry seasoning and mix well.
Bake in a casserole dish at 350°F for 15-20 minutes. If you are going to stuff a turkey then you can skip the baking step.
Easy Holiday recipes
- The Best Apple pie
- Crustless pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Pie from Scratch
- Sweet potato pie with marshmallow
- Pearl Onions In Cream Sauce
- Brown Suagr Lil’ Smokies
Sausage Apple Stuffing
- 14 ounce bag of Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 2 Cups Apple Cider
- 1 large apple chopped
- 12 ounces maple breakfast sausage links cooked and sliced
- 2 stalks Celery
- 1 large Onion
- 1/2 tablespoons Poultry Seasoning
- Cook the sausage links, you can heat them in the microwave or cook theme according to the package on the stove. Once cooked chop into pieces and set aside.
- Wash and chop the apple and set it aside.
- Over medium heat in a stockpot, melt the butter.
- Once the butter is melted, turn the burner heat to low and add the dry stuffing mix and apple cider. Mix until the stuffing has absorbed the liquid and all of it is well moistened.
- Add the chopped apple chopped celery, chopped onion, cooked sausage and poultry seasoning and mix well.
- Bake in a casserole dish at 350°F for 15-20 minutes.