If you are wanting to make a homemade Spiderman Cake then you are in luck with this Step by Step tutorial on how to make a Spiderman cake!
You will be able to use these simple directions on how to make a Spiderman Cake and have your Spiderman fan super happy!
For this homemade Spiderman cake, you can use any filling and cake you would like. I made the caramel turtle cake. You can also use this Boxed Cake Bakery Cake Recipe as well for other flavors. If you are wanting it to be all homemade cake then use these chocolate cupcakes, vanilla cupcakes or strawberry cupcakes recipes and instead of using them as cupcakes pour the batter into two 8 inch circle baking pans.
I made this Spiderman cake because to put it mildly, my son is obsessed with Spiderman. Everything he does somehow relates back to Spiderman. His clothes, to the way he played at the playground. EVERYTHING! His birthday came and it was obvious to me, a Spiderman cake was a must!
It is a must when making this Spiderman Cake to use a vanilla buttercream on the outside so you can have those rich red colors.
I made this cake an 8 inch round cake however you can make it bigger if you need to, depending on how many people are going to be there. I would not try this with a square cake or a rectangle, you don’t get the Spiderman shape.
To smooth the cake I use the Viva paper towel method. You can only do this with Viva paper towels! They do not have any design and are a very soft material. The paper towel method is simple. Just place the paper towel down on top of the cake and ever so gently rubbing the frosting to smooth out any lumps. The key is to do it very softly. If you’re not comfortable doing this, you don’t have to you but you won’t end up with the smoothness like I did on your Spiderman cake.
Spiderman cake Supplies
Spiderman cake ingredients
- 2- 8-inch cakes
- Filling or buttercream of choice for the middle of the cake
- Vanilla buttercream Frosting
- Red food coloring and black food coloring
How to Decorate Spiderman cake
- Bake your cake and let them cool. While the cakes are cooling make a double batch of the
- Vanilla buttercream Frosting
- Once the cakes are cool remove them from the cake pans.
- Place one of your cakes on the cake plate. Place your filling of choose on your cake layer and top with the other 8-inch cake.
- Using a sharp carving knife trim the edges of two sides of the cake so you have an oval shape.
- Crumb coat the outside of the cake by lightly putting a thin coating of buttercream frosting.
- In a large mixing bowl place three-fourths of your buttercream with some red food coloring and stir until well combined and you are left with a bright red color.
- Using your offset spatula frost the cake evenly with the red buttercream. Take your sheet of paper towel and place it on the top of the cake and gently rub it until your buttercream is smooth. Repeat this step with the sides of the cake.
- Place one cup of the white frosting in a medium mixing bowl and dye it black with the black food coloring. Transfer the buttercream to the pastry bag that has the piping tip inside.
- Pipe a long line from one side of the cake straight down the middle to the other side of the cake. About two thirds up on the top of the cake make in a line straight across horizontally making sure the line goes down each side.
- Pipe two additional lines in each fourth of the cake from the center of the meeting point of the black lines down the side of the cake.
- On the top of the cake in each wedge, connect each wedge by piping three curve horizontal lines to create a spiderweb pattern. Repeat this web design on the side of the cake as well.
- Pipe two sideways rounded triangle for spider man’s eyes making sure the top of the triangles points inwards.
- Place the remainder white butter cream into a pastry bag. Fill the triangles of Spiderman’s eyes with the white buttercream. Use a sheet of paper towel to lightly and smooth the eyes out.
- Trace the outline of spider man’s eyes with the black frosting.
Approximately 14 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per slice.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here