Cafe mocha cupcakes also known as chocolate mocha cupcakes are one of the most amazing cupcake recipes ever. A rich homemade chocolate cupcake topped with mocha buttercream!
Cafe Mocha Cupcakes
These Cafe Mocha Cupcakes combine the AMAZING chocolate cupcake recipe with the amazing Mocha Buttercream frosting for one of the most amazing cupcakes you will ever put in your mouth! Really we all know that nothing beats chocolate and nothing beats coffee so when we put them together they are AMAZING!
Looking for more Chocolate cupcakes? Check these out!
- Chocolate Raspberry cupcakes
- Andes Mint Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cherry cupcakes
- Homemade Chocolate cupcakes with Chocolate buttercream frosting
- Chocolate Turtle Cupcakes
- Samoas Cupcakes
A fun fact for you guys is that I started working at the bakery that made my wedding cake a year after we got married! Which is also a fun story because I originally thought when I was going to pick out the cake that I would go with some sort of a vanilla flavor to satisfy more people.
But as soon as I started tasting the chocolate flavors I just knew that I was going to have a chocolate wedding cake. My favorite flavor was the chocolate raspberry combination which be on the look out for that AMAZING cupcake recipe that is coming soon! But any who my husband’s favorite was the mocha and thankfully we had a tiered cake so we both got what we wanted.
This is great for you guys because of the fact that I can share my take on the recipes that I had to make for that bakery. Be sure to check out my twist on a classic cake that I learned while working at the bakery.
Tips for Baking Cupcakes
Follow the recipe. Each cupcake recipe is different. It is important to follow the recipe as directed. all of our cupcake recipes have been tested multiple times to make sure they are perfect.
Bring ingredients to room temperature. Cupcakes will bake best when the ingredients are brought to room temperature before mixing the cupcake batter.
Allow cupcakes to cool completely. Before frosting the cupcakes let them cool completely. If you frost cupcakes while they are still warm then the frosting will melt.
Do not over mix. Over mixing the batter will lead to having tough and flat cupcakes. When making cupcakes you have to be careful that you don’t over mix the batter when you are folding in the flour mixture. If you over-mix your angel food cake batter your cupcakes will turn out flat. You want to mix everything just until mixed, over mixing will cause you to have rough and tough cupcakes. We all know that the best cupcake are light and fluffy.
Fill the cupcake liners appropriately. You do not want to over fill the cupcake liners. Follow the directions for the specific cupcake recipe, if the recipe doesn’t tell you how full stick to the 2/3 full rule. Which is roughly 3 tablespoons of cupcake batter per cupcake liner.
Use the best kitchen tool for filling liners. If you are working with a thick cupcake batter then you want to use a spoon or a cookie scoop to fill the cupcake liners. If it is a thin cupcake batter then use a bowl with a spout or a glass measuring cup to pour in the batter.
Use quality cupcake liners. While you might not think it matters a cupcake liner but having a quality cupcake liner will make it so your cupcakes don’t stick to the wrapper and peel off nicely so you can see the perfect cupcake in it.
Bake one tray at a time. Using the center of the oven rack and bake one tray of cupcakes at a time. This will give you the best cupcake results.
Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting. If you frost cupcakes while they are still warm then the frosting will melt.
How to tell when cupcakes are done baking
I like to use the toothpick test when I am making cupcakes with the kids because it is easier for them to see and learn. But if you have been making cupcakes for a while you may not want to use that method.
If you are wanting an even easier method, the cupcake bounce done method as we call it is even easier. Pull the tray of cupcakes out from the oven and lightly press on a cupcake in the middle of the baking pan. If if bounces right back and no finger print is left behind then your cupcakes are done. If there is a finger print you need to bake them for a few more minutes.
How to Store Cupcakes
It is best to store cupcakes in an airtight container on the counter. Cupcakes are best to be enjoyed with in 48 hours of making them. They won’t be bad to eat after 40 hours but they will start to dry out and not be as fresh.
After frosting cupcakes you are ok to store them on the counter for a day or 2 but after that they should be stored in the fridge.
If you are storing them unfrosted you can store them in an airtight container or a plastic bag. If you are storing them with frosting on top I suggest using a cupcake storage container.
How to Freeze Homemade Cupcakes
You will want to freeze them without any frosting on them. Wrap them individually with plastic wrap and freeze on a baking sheet. Then once they are solid store in a zip close freezer bag. They will keep for up to 2 months when frozen.
To thaw, simply remove them from the freezer and defrost. Then frost as normal.
Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes Ingredients
How to Make Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes
Make the cupcakes and allow them to cool.
Make the Mocha Buttercream Frosting while the cupcakes are cooling.
If you are using a disposable pastry bag start off by cutting the tip off you bag wide enough to fit your piping tip in the hole.
Place your piping tip into your pastry bag.
Fill the pastry bag with your mocha buttercream, making sure you do not overfill the bag.
Swirl the buttercream onto each chocolate cupcake by starting in the middle then swirling the tip around the whole top cupcake.
Cupcake Recipes everyone will love
- Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
- Blackberry Cupcakes
- Boston Cream Cupcakes
- Blueberry Cupcakes
- Peanut butter and jelly cupcakes
- Chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes
Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes
Chocolate Mocha Cupcake Ingredients
- Chocolate cupcakes
- Mocha Buttercream Frosting
Mocha frosting ingredients
Chocolate cupcakes ingredients
How to make chocolate cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.
- Put paper cupcake liners in your cupcake pans or you can use silicone, which ever ones you prefer.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the hot brewed coffee and cocoa, until dissolved and set aside.
- In the bowl for your stand mixer, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Then add the butter and sugars.
- Beat on medium-high speed of your mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in the eggs one at a time. Mix in the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions alternating with the coffee-cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Mix each addition just until incorporated, being careful not to over mix.
- Divide the batter between the prepared liners, filling each about two-thirds of the way full.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pans briefly, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to Make Mocha frosting
- In the bowl of the mixer beat the butter on medium speed until nice and creamy.
- Turn the mixer down to the lowest setting and slowly incorporate the powdered sugar and cocoa powder into the butter.
- Once you have added all the sugar to the mix add the heavy cream, vanilla, salt and instant coffee powder. Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and continue mixing for 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
How to Make Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes
- If you are using a disposable pastry bag start off by cutting the tip off you bag wide enough to fit your piping tip in the hole.
- Place your piping tip into your pastry bag.
- Fill the pastry bag with your mocha buttercream, making sure you do not overfill the bag.
- Swirl the buttercream onto each chocolate cupcake by starting in the middle then swirling the tip around the whole top cupcake.
18 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per cupcake.