Frog Eye Salad, also known as frog eye pasta salad is a creamy sweet pasta salad that has tender pasta, pineapples, mandarin oranges, and coconut mixed with a sweet and creamy sauce. This Frog Eye Salad recipe is perfect for serving to a crowd and for BBQs.
Frog Eye Salad
Frog eye salad is a great recipe for any occasion. It can be made as a side dish or the main course, and it is always delicious. The recipe also goes well with just about any summer main dish recipe. It also is a perfect holiday side dish too! It really is the best vintage side dish recipe that you can make!
I have been enjoying frog eye salad since I was a kid. It is a recipe that my grandmother has made for many years and is the first dish that is empty at any family gathering. I have tried many times to recreate the recipe at home on my own and I never could get it right, so I finally just asked her for it. She gave it to me and I thought I couldn’t be the only person who enjoyed this easy pasta salad recipe that was made by their grandmother so I thought it was a perfect recipe to share here on the blog.
This classic pasta salad recipe is one I am sure many of you had growing up as I did so you know how amazing it tastes. But if you have never had do not be scared of trying it because of the name. This vintage pasta salad recipe is one that is a must try and I promise you will be hooked on it just like I am.
What is Frog Eye Salad?
Frog Eye salad is an amazing pasta salad recipe that is made with coconut, mandarin oranges and pineapples mixed in a sweet creamy sauce. Frog eye pasta salad complements many main dishes because it has the sweetness, creaminess and fruitiness of this delicious pasta salad makes it a great companion for grilled steak, burgers or chicken kebabs (or other meat).
Frog eye salad gets its name from the pasta that is used. To make this cold pasta salad you will use Acini Di Pepe pasta, which is a pasta that is shaped into tiny little balls.
What to Serve with Pasta Salad Frog Eye Salad
Frog eye salad is best served as a side dish Frog eye pasta salad pairs well with almost any grilled meat, chicken or fish. If you are looking for easy main dish recipes to serve with pasta salad check out some of my favorites.
- Steak Kabobs
- Hot dogs
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Grilled Steaks
- Chili Lime Chicken
- Bacon Wrapped Scallops
- Grilled Salmon with Avocado Salsa
While this retro side dish is perfect for picnics and BBQs it is also perfect for any holiday dinner. I love making this easy side dish for Christmas and Thanksgiving dinner because it brings back the memories of meals with my grandmother as a kid, but also because it tastes so amazing. If you are making this recipe for a holiday side dish make sure to check out some of our other holiday side dishes too.
- Sweet potato casserole
- Pearl Onions in Cream Sauce
- Parmesan Asparagus
- Homemade mashed potatoes
- Cheesy brussel sprouts
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower
How to Cook Pasta for Pasta Salad
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until it’s just done; too much cooking will result in mushy pasta. It should take about 3-4 minutes or so, but if you’re unsure, taste test.
Drain the pasta in a colander and then rinse with cool water.
Tips for Cooking Pasta for Cold Pasta Salad
Be sure not to overcook or undercook the pasta. If you overcook the pasta, it will be mushy, and if you undercook it, it could get too sticky when mixed with dressing.
Ideally, al dente is best for Frog Eye Salad since leaving the pasta slightly chewy. Pasta is done when it’s still firm but tender (al dente). Cook until noodles are slightly chewy or firm to bite.
How to Store Frog Eye pasta Salad Recipe
Cold pasta salads need to be stored in the fridge when they are not being enjoyed. Frog eye pasta salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. It is best to store it in an air tight container.
You can keep the pasta salad out to be served for about 2 hours before it needs to go back in the fridge so it doesn’t spoil.
Can I make this pasta salad ahead of time?
Yes! You can totally make this pasta salad ahead of time. In fact I think this pasta salad is best when it has sat in the fridge for a day or overnight and the flavors have had time to blend together
Frog Eye Salad Ingredients
- White sugar.
- Flour. You want to use all purpose flour.
- Salt. Regular table salt is what you need from this recipe.
- pineapple juice. You will use the pineapple juice from the canned pineapple, drain the juice from the canned pineapple chunks and crushed pineapple into a bowl and then use that juice for the recipe.
- lemon juice
- oil. You can use vegetable oil, olive oil or canola oil.
- Acini Di Pepe pasta.
- canned mandarin oranges. Use the juice from the can as well.
- Canned pineapple chunks.
- canned crushed pineapple.
- cool whip.
- mini marshmallows.
- sweetened shredded coconut.
How to Make Frog Eye Salad
In a pot over medium heat add sugar, flour, salt, pineapple juice, and eggs.
Stir until thickened and add the lemon juice.
Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
While the mix is cooling cook the Acini Di Pepe pasta according to package direction and drain. Rinse with cold water to cool pasta.
Combine the egg mixture and the pasta and the fridge for 1 hour.
In a large bowl add the mandarin oranges, pineapple chunks, crushed pineapple, cool whip, marshmallows, and shredded coconut and gently mix well till all combined.
Combine the fruit and marshmallow mixture with the pasta mixture.
Put in the fridge till cold.
Easy Pasta Salad Recipes
- Tuna Pasta Salad Recipe
- Sun dried tomato pasta salad
- Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Salad
- Tahini Pasta Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Taco Pasta Salad
Frog Eye Pasta Salad Recipe
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2.5 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cup pineapple juice
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound box Acini Di Pepe pasta
- 3 8 ounce cans mandarin oranges
- 2 20 ounce cans pineapple chunks
- 1 20 ounce can crushed pineapple
- 8 ounces cool whip
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a pot over medium heat add sugar, flour, salt, pineapple juice, and eggs.
- Stir until thickened and add the lemon juice.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- While the mix is cooling cook the Acini Di Pepe pasta according to package direction and drain. Rinse with cold water to cool pasta.
- Combine the egg mixture and the pasta and the fridge for 1 hour.
- Once the egg and pasta mixture is done cooling, In a large bowl add the mandarin oranges, pineapple chunks, crushed pineapple, cool whip, marshmallows, and shredded coconut and gently mix well till all combined.
- Combine the fruit and marshmallow mixture with the pasta mixture.
- Put in the fridge till cold.
Comments & Reviews
Everyone loved this salad!! It makes a lot so prepare yo share with friends and relatives 😊