It’s hard to go wrong with a Greek pita sandwich. A whole-wheat pita stuffed with tomatoes, cucumbers, chickpeas, fresh dill, and feta cheese in a creamy sauce this is the perfect lunch. This Greek Pita Sandwiches recipe has the perfect balance of salty and sweet flavors, it satisfies that craving for something filling without weighing you down.
Greek Pita Sandwiches Recipe
The Greek pita is the perfect meal to satisfy that craving for something savory without weighing you down. It’s hard to go wrong with this dish because of its doughy, chewy texture and the perfect balance of salty and sweet flavors.
If you think this recipe is high in fat, you will be very surprised. It uses things like Greek yogurt and feta cheese, which gives this sandwich flavor with very little fat and calories but gives it a lot of flavors.
This recipe is perfect for anyone who needs a fast and easy recipe. It is easy to make for lunch or dinner. It is healthy and delicious. Also, it is packed with protein so it is a meal that can keep you feeling full longer.
- Provolone Grilled Cheese
- Spinach Grilled Cheese
- Grilled Cheese Roll ups
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Bacon Grilled Cheese
- Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Rainbow Grilled Cheese
- Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
What is a Greek Pita Sandwich?
A Greek pita is a tasty sandwich made with pita bread that is stuffed with a delicious greek inspired filling.
Why Make This Recipe?
If your life is anything like mine, you need to make this recipe. I’m still trying to keep up my healthy eating, but I am still having trouble eating well at lunch time. Making lunch for my whole family is a time consuming task and everyone always wants something different.
What is Pita Bread?
Pita bread is a flatbread that’s popular in Greece and used in this Greek Pita Recipe. It’s similar to other types of bread, like Indian roti and Mexican tortillas, which are used as vehicles for other ingredients. Pita bread is round with a pocket inside it so it can hold fillings.
What are Chickpeas?
Chickpeas, or garbanzo beans, are a nutritious ingredient frequently used in Mediterranean cuisine. These legumes can be cooked and eaten on their own but are also frequently paired with other ingredients like garlic, lemon juice, parsley and tahini sauce. Chickpeas are a common ingredient in dishes like hummus and falafel.
Chickpeas are related to other legumes like beans and lentils. They’re high in dietary fiber, protein and antioxidants. Chickpeas also contain several important nutrients, such as folate and iron.
Can I add Chicken to my Greek Pita Sandwiches?
Chicken is a popular ingredient to add to a Greek pita recipe. You don’t need any special ingredients to make a Greek pita – these are considered staples in the Mediterranean diet. However, you can experiment with your favorite ingredients as much as you’d like. In Greece, the traditional flavors are onion, garlic, cucumber and tomato. There are all sorts of variations to try – from red bell peppers to cherry tomatoes or even olives.
Can it be Made Ahead?
It’s possible to make Greek pitas ahead of time. You can make the filling for these pitas ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for several days. You do not want to put it inside of the pitas until you are ready to serve it. If you stuff the pitas too soon, they will get soggy and this will take away from the taste.
Variations to This Recipe
This is a simple recipe to make. While it isn’t vegan, it is vegetarian. Using chickpeas as the base, you will be adding tomatoes and cucumbers. You are seasoning it with dill and adding Greek yogurt, sour cream and Feta cheese to create a sauce. If you wanted to add some variations to this recipe you can add chicken, olives and even add some avocado. You can also add any spices you want.
When I have left over tzatziki sauce I skip adding the dill, sour cream and yogurt and mix everything together with the homemade sauce.
Which speaking of tzatziki sauce and its awesomeness, if you love the sauce then you totally have to check out my Falafel bowls, Falafel wraps and homemade falafel recipes. They are sooo good!
What to Serve with Greek Pitas
There are lots of different things that pair well with gree pita sandwiches depending on your tastes and your mood. I stick with traditional lunch sides when we make them.
- Homemade Potato Chips
- Garlic Parmesan homemade Potato Chips
- Sea Salt and Black pepper homemade potato chips
- Garlic Parmesan Sweet potato fries
- chickpea pasta salad
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Red pepper pasta salad
- Dill pikle pasta salad
Greek Pita Sandwiches Ingredients
- Chickpeas– You will use canned chickpeas. Drain the juice out of the can before mixing it together with the other ingredients.
- Grape tomatoes– Chop the tomatoes in half or into quarters depending on the size.
- Cucumber– You want to peel the cucumber for the best texture. Then chop it into small pieces.
- Fresh dill– Chop the dill into small pieces.
- Feta cheese– Use reduced fat to keep this a low fat recipe
- Nonfat greek yogurt- It is best to use nonfat but you can use full fat if that is all you have.
- Sour cream- Use fat free or low fat sour cream for the best results.
- Kosher salt and pepper– Season the filling to taste. Add the salt and pepper slowly and adjust.
- Whole wheat pita pocket bread– You can make these homemade or use store bought.
How to Make This Greek Pita Sandwiches Recipe
Drain the juice out of the chickpeas and add them to a large bowl.
Chop the tomatoes and cucumber and add it to the bowl.
Next, add the fresh dill, feta cheese, salt, pepper, greek yogurt and sour cream.
Mix everything well in the bowl.
Fill the pita bread with the mixture and enjoy.
Easy Lunch Recipes
- Greek Yogurt Blueberry muffins
- Best Reuben Sandwich
- Egg Salad Recipe
- Chicken Salad Recipe
- Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- Meatball Grinder
These are essentials for pretty much every recipe! They also make great gifts for those just starting to cook or moving out on their own.
Greek Pita Recipe
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 5 grape tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cucumber peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp fresh dill chopped
- 3 Tbsp. reduced fat Feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp nonfat greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp low fat sour cream
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Whole wheat Pita Pocket Bread
- Drain the juice out of the chick peas and add them to a large bowl.
- Chop the tomatoes and cucumber and add it to the bowl.
- Next, add the fresh dill, feta cheese, salt, pepper, greek yogurt and sour cream.
- Mix everything well in the bowl.
- Fill the pita bread with the mixture and enjoy.
Comments & Reviews
I know what you mean about how time consuming it is! I love to cook for my kids, but it can be difficult to come up with new stuff all the time. This is definitely a great and healthy new way for a new lunch item! Thanks much for this great recipe!
Erika Lowery says
Hmmm this sounds promising. My family loves Greek food and (rarely) have leftover Greek style chicken that I could add. 🙂
This looks really good and I think my family would like these!