Wondering How to Make Shredded Chicken! Shredded or chunks of chicken is a staple item in many chicken recipes but it can be a total time-suck to dice it by hand. With this simple trick you can shred chicken in minutes and get dinner done. This easy way to shred chicken will quickly become your go to once you see how quickly and easily you can shred cooked chicken.
How to Easily Shred Chicken
I need things as quick and easy as possible with a house full of kids and this easy kitchen trick has been my go to for years when making any recipe with chicken. It wasn’t until I was talking to a friend that I realized some people still chop their chicken with a knife, which takes forever when you are trying to get dinner done and on the table. With my easy chicken shredding it takes me just a few minutes and it is mostly hands off.
Shredding chicken can be a real pain in the butt, so can dicing it. Using this trick you will be able to easily shred chicken, you will save time and all of your chicken will be uniform so it will look beautiful when you are using it in the recipe What to make with shredded chicken? There are countless recipes that call for shredded chicken.
What is Shredded Chicken
Shredded chicken is just that, chicken that has been shredded. It can be sold in cans or it can be homemade; the difference between store-bought and homemade is the quality of ingredients and preparation techniques. It is always better to shred your own chicken. It tastes way better as well as it is a whole lot cheaper. We are not fans of canned chicken at all in our house so I like to make large batches of cooked chicken and freeze it so I can avoid having to ever buy canned chicken.
What type of chicken can I use?
You can use cooked chicken breast or cooked chicken thighs to make shredded chicken. Depending on your preference for meat and the recipe you are making pick the type of chicken you prefer. This easy method of shredding chicken will work with any cooked chicken that does not have the bone in it.
You can also use a rotisserie chicken or chicken legs, but you will need to take the meat off the bone before putting it in the bowl of your mixer.
Can I shred Raw Chicken?
No. Chicken needs to be cooked before you shred it.
How much Shredded chicken am I getting?
When you are cooking chicken a good rule of thumb to follow is one pound of cooked chicken will give you 2.5 cups of shredded chicken.
How to Cook Chicken
In order to make shredded chicken, you have to have cooked chicken. There are a lot of ways to make cooked chicken. Whether you decide to boil, bake or Instant Pot it, it is easy to make cooked chicken to them turn into shredded chicken.
Before cooking the chicken, be sure to rinse all of the pieces under cool water and then pat them dry with paper towels. This will help your chicken cook faster and more evenly as well as reduce your chances of getting Salmonella poisoning.
How to Boil Chicken
It is commonly asked how to boil chicken breasts. Boiling it will result in moist cooked chicken. Using a large pot, add the raw chicken breast and cover it with 3 cups of water or chicken broth; it doesn’t matter which. On medium high heat, bring it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and place a lid on the pot. Simmer the chicken for 10 minutes.
How to Bake Chicken
To bake the chicken for shredding, you want to preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the chicken on a baking sheet, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked fully.
How to Cook Chicken in the Instant Pot
If you choose to cook chicken in the Instant Pot, you can easily make it tender to be shredded. Place one cup of water or chicken broth, it doesn’t matter which one you use. Place the chicken in the pot and place the lid on top. Make sure it is set to seal and set the time to 15 minutes, with a 5 minute natural release. This is a little longer than I recommend for chicken that is not being shredded, but this extra time helps to make the chicken fall apart easily.
How to Store Shredded Chicken
If you are not going to use the chicken right away you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge. You can also freeze the cooked chicken to use later. Cooked chicken will last for 3-4 days in the fridge.
How to Freeze Cooked Chicken
Allow the chicken to cool completely. Put the chicken into a zipclose bag and squeeze out the air. Frozen chicken is good in the freezer for upto 4 months. I find it easiest to cook a large batch of chicken, shred it and then put 3 cups of shredded chicken into each bag. Then label them with the amount and the date that I put them in the freezer.
When you are freezing chicken measure out the amount that you normally use in a recipe that needs cooked chicken to make things easier. Many times the recipe I am using will call for 2.5-3 cups of cooked chicken, if the recipe needs less chicken then the freezer bag has I use it to make chicken salad sandwiches the next day as to not waste food.
What to make with shredded chicken?
There are endless recipes that use shredded chicken. Chicken is a common ingredient in recipes because it is so versatile and you can change things up flavor-wise so easily. The internet and Pinterest are full of them and of course, I have my favorites. Some of my favorite shredded chicken recipes are the easiest to make. If you have a recipe that calls for diced chicken most of the time you can change it out for shredded without any issues and it will save a ton of time in the kitchen.
- Tex Mex Chicken Avocado and Cheese Burritos. Mexican-inspired sandwiches are a delicious choice for lunch or dinner and they’re easy to assemble since there’s no cooking required. All you need is 5 ingredients and 15 minutes of your time!
- Buffalo chicken dip.This is one of my favorite party dip recipes, and it’s so easy to make! It uses a slow cooker for the most hands-off cooking experience possible. I put juicy chicken in a crock pot with cream cheese, hot sauce, ranch dressing or blue cheese and lots of cheese. Just set the timer on your slow cooker for
- BBQ chicken sandwiches.Make this Buffalo chicken ranch recipe in the slow cooker or instant pot. Perfect for Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches!
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole. Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a simple and delicious dinner idea. This dinner is a game changer and a major time saver. If you are looking for an easy dinner recipe for those chaotic weeknights, this is it.
- Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Spaghetti Squash. This dish is easy and healthy, with juicy chicken, tender broccoli, and spaghetti squash mixed in a creamy sauce that makes the whole dish quite memorable.
- White Chicken Enchiladas. These creamy enchiladas are loaded with juicy chicken and a creamy white enchilada sauce that are a complete meal when served with Mexican rice.
- Easy Chicken Salad. Juicy chicken with crunchy apples and sweet raisins makes for the perfect chicken salad sandwich.
- Chicken Alfredo Ravioli Bake. Cheesy ravioli and chicken mixed with a tasty Alfredo sauce for a quick and easy dinner.
What do I need to Make Shredded Chicken?
Cooked chicken breasts and a stand mixer are all you need to make shredded chicken. If you do not have a stand mixer you can use a large mixing bowl, with high edges and a hand mixer with a paddle attachment on low speed.
How to Easily Shred Chicken
Get your chicken breasts, you can either bake them or you can boil them, it is up to you and which ever cooking method you prefer to use. Both ways of cooking can be used to Easily Shred Chicken.
Start by taking your boiled or baked chicken and placing it into the bowl of your mixer with a paddle attachment.
Slowly turn your mixer on and off to get it started. Once the large pieces have been broken up you can turn the mixer on to one and let it shred your chicken to the desired texture. Make sure you are slow with using the mixer or your easily shred chicken will easily become a giant mess.
Easy Kitchen Hacks
- How to make a boxed cake mix taste homemade
- Freezing Fresh Green beans
- How to freeze applesauce
- How to Make Fruits and Veggies last longer
- Printable Liquid Measurement Cheat Sheet
- How Many Cups in a Quart + In a gallon, pint & More!
- Homemade Roasted Peppers
- How to Freeze Strawberries
- How to freeze Blueberries
How to Shred Chicken
- Cooked Chicken
- Get your chicken breasts, you can either bake them or you can boil them, it is up to you and which ever cooking method you prefer to use. Both ways of cooking can be used to Easily Shred Chicken.
- Start by taking your boiled or baked chicken and placing it into the bowl of your mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Slowly turn your mixer on and off to get it started. Once the large pieces have been broken up you can turn the mixer on to one and let it shred your chicken to the desired texture. Make sure you are slow with using the mixer or your easily shred chicken will easily become a giant mess.