If you are looking for an easy and delicious cake recipe then you are going to love this Orange soda cake, also sometimes referred to as an orange crush soda cake. Made with a box of cake mix and orange soda this soda cake is a family favorite. This soda cake recipe is made with 2 simple ingredients including a can of soda and boxed cake mix.
Orange Soda Cake Recipe
My kids call it orange creamsicle cake because they say it tastes like creamsicle ice cream. The best thing about this cake is that there are only 2 ingredients needed for the basic cake, a box of cake mix and some orange soda. After baking it you can get fancy with frosting and toppings if you want to or leave it plain.
When making this orange crush cake recipe you don’t need to worry about fancy ingredients. With just 3 simple ingredients you will have a fluffy cake that is easy to make.
My whole family loves it when I make this soda pop cake. The kids love it, the husband loves it and any time I bring this cake to a get together it is one of the first things gone from the dessert table. It is such a simple recipe, that I keep cake mixes on hand just so I can make this easy recipe whenever I want to.
- Homemade Chocolate Cake
- American Flag Cake
- Homemade Ice Cream Cake
- Easter Bunny Cake
- Thin Mint Cake
- Strawberry Poke Cake
- Homemade Rainbow Cake
How to Serve Orange Cake
There are a few different ways to serve this cake after it is done baking.
- Top with Cool Whip. Cool whip makes a great frosting for this cake. Just let the tub defrost a bit while the cake is cooling and then spread it on top.
- Top with homemade icing. If you want to frost you can make homemade vanilla buttercream frosting, or cream cheese frosting and top the cake with it. You can change up the vanilla buttercream to have a hint of orange flavor by switching out the vanilla buttercream for orange extract. If you want the frosting to be orange also add a few drops of orange food coloring.
- Powdered sugar. A dusting of powdered sugar on top is an easy way to top the cake.
- Use store bought frosting. You can use a can of whipped frosting, if you want to add a little orange flavor just add a few drops of orange extract and give it a good mix.
- Cake toppings. Slices of mandarin oranges, Orange candy slices, and Orange zest are all great topping ideas for when you are using frosting or cool whip as the topping.
What baking pan do I use for Orange Soda cake?
You can use a 9×13 rectangle, 8×8 square or circle baking pan. Sometimes I use a bundt pan or if I want to make individual desserts I use mini a mini bundt pan. If the cake is thicker because the pan is taller you may need to add a few minutes to the baking time.
Can I make this recipe into cupcakes?
Yes! This cake recipe will also work if you are making 12 cupcakes. The bake time will be a bit shorter then if you are making it
What is the best flavor cake mix to use?
I like using a box of white cake mix when making this cake because then the orange color is brighter. You can also use yellow cake mix.
Tips for Making this Recipe
- Grease the pan well. Grease the baking pans well or line with parchment paper. This is important in making sure the cake does not stick to the pan when baking and makes it easier to remove when done baking.
- Cool Cake Completely. It is important that the cake is fully cooled before you start frosting them otherwise you will have issues with frosting as you frost the cake.
- If adding frosting or cool whip I suggest putting the cake on a cake plate once it is cooled before adding the topping.
What is the best Orange Soda brand to use?
You can use any brand of orange soda, store brands Fanta Orange, Sunkist brand will all work when making this soda cake.
Can I use a different flavor soda?
Yes! I like using Orange soda and making orange soda pop cake but you can use any flavored soda to make a cake. There are lots of fun flavors to try with this recipe, and if you are looking for different flavors your best bet is going to be looking for fanta sodas as they have a large variety of soda flavors.
- lemon lime soda cake. White cake mix to make a lemon lime soda cake.
- Pineapple soda cake. Use Fanta Pineapple Soda with white cake mix.
- Berry Soda cake. Use Fanta Berry soda with white cake mix.
- Strawberry Soda cake. Strawberry soda with white cake mix.
- Grape Soda cake. Use white cake mix and grape soda.
How to Store Cake
It is best to store the homemade cake in an airtight container on the counter. The cake is best to be enjoyed within 48 hours of making. It won’t be bad to eat after 48 hours but they will start to dry out and not be as fresh.
How to Freeze Homemade Cake
You can make this orange cake ahead of time and then freeze it to enjoy later. You will want to freeze the cake without any frosting. Wrap the cake with plastic wrap and freeze on a baking sheet. Then the cake is solid store in a zip-close freezer bag. It will keep for up to 2 months when frozen.
To use, just defrost the cake in the fridge and then decorate as desired when thawed.
Orange Soda Cake Ingredients
- 12 ounces can of Orange Soda
- 1 Box White cake Mix
- 1 tub cool whip
- Mandarin Oranges or candy Orange slices for the top
How to Make Soda Cake
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl pour in the dry cake mix, then add 12 ounces of orange soda and mix to combine cake mix and soda.
Pour cake batter into a greased baking pan. If you do not want to grease the bottom of the pan you can use a cake pan parchment paper liner instead.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20- 35 minutes.
Let cool before spreading cool whip on top of the cake.
Top with candy orange slices or mandarin oranges.
Easy Dessert Recipes
- Lemon Cake Mix cookies
- Chocolate Cake mix cookies
- Red Velvet Cake mix cookies
- Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
Orange Soda Cake Recipe
- 12 ounces Orange Soda
- 1 Box White cake Mix
- 12 ounces cool whip
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl pour white cake mix, then add 1 can of orange soda and mix together.
- Pour cake mix into baking pan
- bake for 35 minutes
- Let cool before spreading cool whip on top of cake.
- top with candy orange slices or mandarin oranges
More dessert recipes to try!
When you are doing your cooking, to make life easier make sure you grab the awesome printable for how many cups in a quart, and it also includes all other liquid measurements like how many cups in a pint and more!