If you have not tried these Cookies and Cream Cookie Sandwiches, you are missing out. These incredible cookies are easy to make and the family will love them. Soft chewy cookies with homemade buttercream filling, these cookies are sure to be a hit. Everyone will love these Chocolate cookie sandwiches, soft chocolate cookies filled with homemade buttercream is the perfect easy dessert.
Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches
When it comes to special cookie treats, these are at the top of my list. These homemade sandwich cookies are absolutely perfect. The combination of homemade buttercream and chocolate cookies makes the perfect treat, whether it is for an afternoon snack, a bake sale, or a picnic. Be warned though, once you get started making these cookies everyone is going to ask for them.
During the summer months, I tend to change things up and make Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches using these double chocolate cookies because they are amazing too. If you are looking for one of the best summer desserts you gotta make them!
Tips for Making this Recipe
Make them fancy. While these cookies are extremely easy to throw together, you can also take them up a notch. simply, use a star tip on your piping bag and you can add the buttercream using the tip. This will make a fancy looking design that will make these cookies look like something that you could buy at the bakery, only better.
Let the cookies cool completely. It is important the cookies are cooled completely before they are filled with frosting.
There are many ways that you can change up these cookies. You can add things into the cookies like different flavors of chips, flavored extracts, or candy pieces. You can change the flavor of the cookie themselves. Some of my favorite cookie recipes are Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies, White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies, and The Best Snickerdoodles Cookies Recipe.
You can also change the filling of these cookies. I have made so many delicious frosting recipes that will go great with these cookies. Pair it with this cookie recipe, or combine it with the other flavor of cookies. Some of my favorite frosting recipes to use with these cookies and cream cookie sandwiches are Peanut Butter Cookie Frosting, Bakery Style Mocha Buttercream Frosting, or Bakery Style Strawberry Buttercream Frosting. Of course, you should also try Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting Recipe.
Roll cookies in toppings. I like to roll mine in mini chocolate chips but you can also use chocolate sprinkles, rainbow sprinkles, mini M&Ms, or Reese’s pieces. You can even use holiday sprinkles to decorate them and make them holiday themed.
How to Store These Cookies
Since the filling of these cookies is buttercream, and not something like cream cheese frosting, you can store them at room temperature. You want to make sure to store them in an airtight container. You can also store them in a freezer bag to protect them from the air so that they stay fresh and soft.
Can These Be Frozen
Since the kids love to make cookies, as often as possible, so we tend to have a lot of cookies around. I like to take half the batch and freeze them. I like to freeze the cookies before I actually pack them into the freezer. I place the sandwich cookies in a plate and then place it in the refrigerator for about an hour. Once the cookies are frozen, I move them to a freezer bag. This helps the cookies to stay together and the icing in the center does not all out or make a mess on the plastic. It also keeps the cookies from sticking together so that you can take out as many or as few as you want.
If you are packing these cookies in a plastic container, you will want to place a piece of wax paper in between the layers of cookies.
Cookie Sandwich Supplies
You will need a few things to make it easier to make these tasty cookie sandwiches. When baking cookies I find that it is best to use a silicon mat on top of my baking sheet. You don’t need a silicone baking mat, but I do find them easier.
Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches Ingredients
How to Make Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches
While cooling make the frosting.
Once the cookies are fully cooled start assembling the chocolate cookie sandwiches.
Place your buttercream in a piping bag or a freezer bag with the corner cut off.
Take one cookie and pipe the buttercream onto the cookie and top with another cookie. Enjoy!
Easy Cookie Recipes
- Soft Chocolate chip cookies
- Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Bakery Style chocolate chip cookies
- No Spread Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Crackle Cookies
Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches
Homemade Cookie ingredients
Buttercream filling ingredients
- 1/2 Cup of Softened butter
- 1/2 Cup of vegetable shortening
- 1 Pounds of confectionery sugar
- 3/4 Tablespoons of hot water
- 1 Teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar.
- Beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Blend in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed. Mix in the cocoa powder until well blended. Add the flour, salt, and baking powder to the bowl and mix at low speed just until incorporated.
- Scoop out a tablespoon of dough and roll it into a ball.
- Bake 12-16 minutes.
- Let cool on the baking sheets 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Homemade Buttercream filling
- Start off by mixing the soft butter and shortening together till nice and creamy on medium speed.
- Turn the mixer down to the lowest setting and slowly incorporate the powdered sugar into the shortening mixture.
- Once you have added all the sugar to the mix add in the hot water and the vanilla.
- Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and continue mixing for 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Place your buttercream in a piping bag or a freezer bag with the corner cut off.
- Take one cookie and pipe the buttercream onto the cookie and top with another cookie.