If you are looking for the BEST Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings recipe this is it! This chicken and dumplings recipe tastes just like the Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings, actually if I am being totally honest I think this copy cat Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings recipe tastes better then the one you get at the restaurant!
This easy chicken and dumplings recipe is one that I love to make and my whole family enjoys!
Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings recipe
Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings
I came up with this easy chicken and dumplings because when I was a little girl my family would always stop at Cracker Barrel when we are on a road trip. It was a great place because we would be able to get a good meal and stretch our legs in the fun store. My mom would always get the chicken and dumplings whenever we went. Cracker Barrel Chicken and dumplings was her must have meal every time.
Chicken and Dumplings is her favorite but she doesn’t get to have them of since she doesn’t have a Cracker Barrel near her.
I wanted to be able to give her a meal she loves so much right at home so I made her this Copycat Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings. I don’t know if she was saying it because she is my mom or if it 100% true, but she told me this is the homemade chicken and dumplings recipe. I am going to say that my family says the same thing when I make this chicken and dumplings from scratch recipe, so I am leaning towards believing she really means it. 😉
Copycat Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings
When I make chicken and dumplings from scratch I make my own stock, you can make your own or use a boxed one. If you are making your own and have leftover stock, use this trick for storing the extra chicken stock for any extra chicken stock you have when making your Copycat Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings.
You will be cooking a full chicken for this easy chicken and dumplings recipe, and then shredding it, for this you may want to use my trick on how to shred chicken, It is so simple! I also make a big batch of chicken stock, and then freeze it. If you have left over chicken stock and you are trying to figure out what to do with it, Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup, is AMAZING!
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
Chicken And Dumplings Ingredients
- Remove the chicken neck and gizzards. Place the chicken, onions, carrots, and celery in a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat so water maintains a gentle simmer.
- Cook chicken for 2-3 hour. I love to cook it for a long time to get a lot of flavor.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt together in bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture with your fingertips until it resembles small peas. Add milk a quarter cup at a time, you may not need a full cup.
- Stir until a ball of dough just begins to form, being careful not to over mix. On a flour surface roll about 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter cut dough into rectangles about 1 inch wide by 2 inches long. Place strips on flour sheet pan and allow to harden for at least 30 minutes or up to several hours.
- Once chicken is done, remove from the broth and let cool. Remove chicken from the bone and shred into medium-sized pieces, discarding bones and skin.
- Pour the chicken broth through a fine mesh sieve lined with a coffee filter, discarding vegetables. Reserve 6 cups of the broth for the dumplings.
- Refrigerate or freeze the rest to use in for another recipe.
- In a large pot over medium-low heat, bring broth to a gentle simmer and drop in dumplings.
- Cover and allow to cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add chicken.
- Allow to cook until thickened, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
Approximately 18 WeightWatchers SmartPoints on the Freestyle Program depending on the size of the chicken
Looking for amazing dishes? Check these out!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest recipes right in your inbox every time we post a new one!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here