Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls Recipe. Perfect from scratch cinnamon rolls that are are fluffy and soft, loaded with apple filling, and the perfect twist on your classic cinnamon rolls. Loaded with apple filling and topped with creamy cream cheese icing. These apple cinnamon rolls are perfect for breakfast or brunch.
Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing
Nothing beats a nice warm ooey-gooey cinnamon roll, that is warm, sweet, and oozing with icing for breakfast. Ok, I lie it doesn’t have to be a cold morning it can be any morning, midday, or afternoon that is the perfect time to enjoy these homemade apple cinnamon rolls. There really is no wrong time to heat one up after you have made them and sit down to enjoy it.
As much as I love a classic cinnamon roll I like to make fun variations of them too. This apple pie cinnamon roll recipe is one of our family favorites. These soft cinnamon rolls filled with apple filling and then topped with a cream cheese frosting are my go-to when I want a fancy breakfast for the kids. They take a bit of work but they are so worth it when you take a bite of these delicious cinnamon rolls.
Cinnamon rolls are a great option for breakfast, brunch and snacks. Soft and fluffy cinnamon rolls with a delicious apple pie cinnamon roll filling and then topped with cream cheese icing make for the perfect homemade cinnamon rolls.
Spin Off Apple Pie recipes
- Cresant Apple Pie Rolls
- Apple Pie Granola
- Homemade Apple pie
- Mini Apple Pies with Puff Pastry
- Apple Pie Oatmeal
What do you serve with Cinnamon rolls for breakfast?
If you are making these cinnamon rolls for breakfast they pair perfectly with a cup of coffee or orange juice or a smoothie like the delicious Peach mango smoothie and fruit.
Being a classic breakfast item that is great for brunch they pair well with just about every other breakfast food you would think to make. If you are looking for breakfast dishes that we love to serve with cinnamon rolls check out some of our favorites.
- Brown sugar Bacon
- egg muffins
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie bowl
- Breakfast Casserole with Eggs and bacon
- Easy Fruit Salad with marshmallows
What fruit goes with cinnamon rolls?
All fruits go well with cinnamon rolls but my favorites to serve are pears, apples, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries.
Variations of this recipe
Different types of applesauce. When making these Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls I prefer using homemade applesauce, you can use the jarred store-bought stuff but I much prefer fresh applesauce in general. I love using my homemade crockpot applesauce when making these since I can make it the day before or if you have it on hand defrost your freezer applesauce and use that. If possible skip using the jar sauce, the extra step of homemade is soo much better!
Switch the applesauce for apple pie filling. You can totally make these apple pie cinnamon rolls with apple pie filling instead of the applesauce. You can use homemade apple pie filling or a canned apple pie filling.
Add apple pie spice. If you want a bit more apple flavor you can add a sprinkle of apple pie spice to the apple sauce, you can also use pumpkin pie spice.
Tips for Making Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
Don’t skimp on rising time. You want the rise time for the dough so you have soft and fluffy cinnamon rolls so it is very important to let the dough rise for enough time.
Use a cast iron pan or circle baking dish. I like using a cast iron pan but you can also use a circle baking pan.
Spray pan with non stick cooking spray. It is important to use nonstick cooking spray on the baking dish so the cinnamon rolls do not stick to the baking dish.
Room temperature ingredients. Set any ingredients on the counter about 30 minutes before getting started that need to be at room temperature.
Use a sharp knife. When cutting the roll of cinnamon roll dough it is much easier to do when you are using a sharp knife.
Flour your work surface. When you are rolling out the dough it is important to add a sprinkle of flour to the counter to prevent the dough from sticking. I also sprinkle a little bit on my rolling pin to make rolling easier.
Add chopped apples. You can also chop an apple and add it to the apple sauce. If you are doing so then I suggest using granny smith apples, however just about any type of apple will work.
Why do I frost them twice?
I love frosting in between the cinnamon roll sections when I eat cinnamon rolls, so to make them perfect I put one layer of frosting on as soon as they come out of the oven and then a second layer after they have cooled a bit.
Do I need an electric mixer?
You do not need an electric stand mixer, however, it does make things easier. If you do not have one then you can use a mixing bowl and a hand mixer.
Can I make these cinnamon rolls ahead of time?
Cinnamon rolls are one of my favorite breakfasts and I like to make them ahead of time and then reheat them in the morning. The great thing about these from scratch apple cinnamon rolls is that you can make them the night before and reheat them and they are still just as delicious as when they came out of the oven.
They are best stored without the second layer of frosting and then add that frosting on them after you have warmed them up to serve them.
How to store Cinnamon Rolls
Cinnamon rolls will keep for 2 days when stored with plastic wrap on the counter. If you store them in the fridge they will keep for up to one week.
Allow them to cool completely before covering with plastic wrap.
Can you freeze Cinnamon rolls?
Yes. You can freeze cinnamon rolls and you can freeze them before or after baking them. I do not suggest putting the cinnamon roll icing on top of them until you are going to eat them.
How to freeze homemade cinnamon rolls
Freeze Cinnamon Roll dough. If you want to freeze the cinnamon rolls before baking you are going to follow all of the steps up until baking. Then place the cinnamon roll slices on a baking sheet and put the baking sheet in the freezer for 1-2 hours until they are frozen solid. Then place frozen cinnamon rolls into a freezer zip close bag and store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Freeze baked cinnamon rolls. To freeze them after baking allow them to cool completely. Then place on a baking sheet and put the baking sheet in the freezer for 1-2 hours until they are frozen solid. Then place frozen cinnamon rolls into a freezer zip close bag and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. To reheat frozen cinnamon rolls you can thaw them in the fridge and warm them in the microwave or you can pop them on a baking sheet in the oven for 2-3 minutes to warm up. Then top them with the frosting.
Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls Ingredients
For these cinnamon rolls, you will need homemade cinnamon roll dough, homemade apple pie cinnamon roll filling, and homemade cream cheese cinnamon roll icing.
Cinnamon Roll Ingredients
- granulated white sugar
- instant yeast
- whole milk
- unsalted butter, room temp
- egg, room temp
Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls Filling Ingredients
- unsalted butter, room temp
- ground cinnamon
- white granulated sugar
Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls Frosting Ingredients
- cream cheese, room temp
- butter, room temp
- vanilla extract
- corn syrup
- fresh lemon juice
- powdered sugar
How to Make Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls
Star with bringing the ingredients to room temperature that need to be. Then you will make the cinnamon roll dough.
In a large bowl add 2 1/4 cups of flour, sugar, salt, and yeast together until evenly mixed and then set aside.
Using a double boiler combine the water, milk, and butter together until the butter is melted and the mixture is hot to touch. If you are not sure how to make a double boiler, learn how to make a double boiler at home.
Pour the melted butter mixture into the flour mixture and mix well.
Next, add the egg and the leftover flour to the bowl. Starting with 1/3 a cup working up to using 1/2 cup until the dough is ready, the dough is ready when it pulls away from the side of the bowl and has an elastic consistency.
Remove the dough and knead the dough for about 3-4 minutes on a floured surface.
Grease the bowl, add the dough to the greased bowl, and cover with a kitchen towel. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
Next, roll the dough out in a rectangle using a rolling pin and your hands.
In a small bowl mix the cinnamon and sugar.
Spread the butter on top then sprinkle the dough with cinnamon and sugar mixture, and then spread the applesauce on top.
Roll up the dough tightly by squeezing the edges closed, then cut into 8 equal pieces about 1- 1 1/2 inch wide each.
Spray a cast iron pan or circle baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and place cinnamon rolls into pan.
After you are done putting the rolls into the cast iron or the baking pan, cover the pan loosely with a kitchen towel and put it in a draft-free area to rise for 90 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake for 25-30 minutes until they are light golden brown. While the cinnamon rolls are baking make the frosting.
Remove the rolls from the oven and spread half of the frosting on top. Allow to cool and then spread the remainder of the frosting on top.
How to make Icing for Cinnamon Rolls
In a bowl, combine the vanilla, corn syrup, and lemon juice in a small bowl.
In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a mixing bowl with a hand mixer), whip cream cheese and butter together.
Add the liquid ingredients into the mixer bowl with the cream cheese and butter and continue to mix.
Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix again, you want this mixed well. Once it is mixed well, turn the mixer speed to low and add the powdered sugar. When the powdered sugar is fully mixed in turn the mixer speed to high and let it mix for 5 minutes.
Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Easy Breakfast Tacos
- Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
- Homemade Pancakes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Banana Walnut Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Blueberry Cheesecake Pancakes
- Banana Chocolate Chip pancakes
- Santa Cinnamon Rolls
Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
Cinnamon Roll dough Ingredients
Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls Filling Ingredients
- Set aside 1/2 cup of flour.
- In a large bowl add 2 1/4 cups of flour, sugar, salt, and yeast together until evenly mixed and then set aside.
- In a double boiler (not sure how to make a double boiler, learn how to make a double boiler at home) combine the water, milk, and butter together until the butter is melted and the mixture is hot to touch.
- Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture and mix well.
- Next add the egg and the leftover flour to the cinnamon roll dough mixture, to make a soft dough. Start with 1/3 a cup working up to using 1/2 cup until the dough is ready. The dough is ready when it pulls away from the side of the bowl and has an elastic consistency.
- Knead the dough for about 3-4 minutes on a floured surface.
- Grease another bowl, add the dough to the greased bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Leave the dough in the bowl to rise and rest for about 10 minutes.
- While the dough is resting make your apple pie cinnamon roll filling. Mix the cinnamon and sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- Once your dough is ready, roll it out in a rectangle. Spread the butter on top then sprinkle the dough with cinnamon and sugar mixture, then spread the applesauce on top.
- Roll up the dough tightly by squeezing the edges closed, then cut into 1- 1 1/2 inch wide pieces.
- Prep your cast Iron Skillet (or circle baking pan if you don’t have one) with non stick spray. Place cinnamon rolls into pan (you want the top to be the part where you can see the filling on the inside)
- Put the skillet in a draft-free area, that is warm and loosely cover with a kitchen towel to allow them to rise for 60-90 minutes.
- As it gets time to bake them preheat the oven to 375 degrees and when the oven is ready place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until they are lightly browned.
- While the cinnamon rolls are baking make the frosting.
- In a bowl, combine the vanilla, corn syrup, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Whip cream cheese and butter together. Continue to beat while adding the two mixtures together.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix again, you want this mixed well.
- Pour in the powdered sugar and stir slowly until it starts to incorporate. Then mix on high for 5 minutes or until frosting starts to lighten in color. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix it together again briefly.
- Once rolls have been removed from the oven, frost using half the amount made. let them cool and then frost again.