Grinch Cake Pops. Chocolate covered cake balls on a stick that are decorated to look like the Grinch! The perfect easy Christmas cake pop recipe!
Grinch Cake Pops
Christmas is almost here and that means it is time for all things Grinch! I love having fun with food during the holidays and these Grinch Cake Pops are the newest addition to our Grinch treats ideas.
Grinch Cake pops are perfect for a kid’s Christmas party as a treat or as the centerpiece. Cake pops are easy to make and they are super cute too! My kids loved it when I made these Christmas cake pops and I am sure your kids are going to love them too!
Tips for making perfect cake pops
- Make the cake balls smooth. For a smooth cake pop you need to roll the cake balls very smooth. I like to roll them the first time and then give them a quick roll in my hands again after they have cooled in the fridge.
- Easy cake ball dipping. Melt the chocolate in a small glass to dip the pops in, I find a 2 cup measuring cup to be the best way to do the dipping and not make a huge mess.
- Make them all the same size. You can use a cookie scoop to get them all the same size.
- Keep tthe cake ball on the stick. Make sure the cake pop stays on the lolipop stick by dipping it into the melted candy coating and then placing the cake pop on the stick.
- Use quality candy melts. You will have a much easier time melting them and dipping the cake balls with a quality candy melt or dipping chocolate.
Variations of this recipe
Change up the cake flavor. Read on for some of our favorite cake flavor combinations but you can use any cake flavor you want to.
Change up the frosting. You can change up the frosting to make your favorites, read on for some of our favorite cake and frosting flavor combinations.
Skip the pop stick. If you want to make cake balls you totally can, just skip adding the lollipop stick in.
Homemade Cake or Boxed cake mix?
While I do love a homemade cake, a boxed cake will work just fine for these cake pops.
Homemade or Store bought Frosting?
You can use either store bought or homemade frosting. If you are using homemade frosting make it ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge for a little bit to stiffen up after making it.
Can I make these ahead of time?
Yes! I actually think they are better when they have had a day to sit and harden and come together.
How long do cake pops last?
The uncoated cake balls can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days. Coated cake pops can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can I freeze Cake Pops?
You can freeze the cake balls before you have dipped them into the candy coating. To freeze the cake balls place them on a baking sheet and place in the freezer till frozen. Once frozen place in a freezer bag. They will keep frozen for up to 6 weeks. To make cake pops, allow the frozen cake balls to thaw in the fridge and then continue on with the steps for decorating and dipping in the candy coating.
You can also freeze the dipped cake pops for up to 6 weeks in an air-tight container.
How to Store Cake Pops
Allow cake pops to be fully set and then store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Grinch Cake Pop Ingredients
- 1 chocolate cake boxed mix or homemade chocolate cake baked and cooled.
- 1 cup buttercream frosting
- 36 ounce Green Candy Coating melts
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Heart Sprinkles
How to Make Grinch Cake Pops
Prepare and bake cake mix as directed on the box or use a homemade cake mix.
Allow to cool for about 30 minutes.
Crumble cake into a large bowl.
Add frosting and mix thoroughly with hands.
Measure cake mixture and roll into 1″ sized balls.
Place on a wax paper lined baking sheet.
Place in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to firm up.
Melt the candy coating according to directions on package or using a double boiler and add the shorting, be careful not to overheat. Mix well and stir while melting.
Dip the lollipop stick in a small amount of coating before inserting into the cake ball.
Dip cake pops in melted candy and allow excess coating to drip off by tapping your wrist and place in the Styrofoam block or a box with holes to set.
Before the chocolate coating is dry add a red heart sprinkle to right hand side of the cake pop.
Easy Christmas Recipes
- Santa Fruit Pops
- Christmas Tree cupcakes
- Cinnamon Roll Christmas Tree
- Christmas Tree Marshmallow Pop
- Christmas Tree brownies
- Reindeer Marshmallow Pops
- Snowman Marshmallow Pops
- North Pole Marshmallow Pops
- Christmas Pinwheel Cookies
- Chocolate Crackle Cookies
- Snowman Cookies
- Homemade Sugar Cookies
- Santa Belly Oreos
Doing some holiday entertaining or just love making Christmas treats? You’ll love these tools and platters!
Grinch Cake Pops
- Prepare and bake cake mix as directed on the box or use a homemade cake mix.
- Allow to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Crumble cake into a large bowl.
- Add frosting and mix thoroughly with hands.
- Measure cake mixture and roll into 1″ sized balls.
- Place on a wax paper lined baking sheet.
- Place in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to firm up.
- Dip the lollipop stick in a small amount of coating before inserting into the cake ball.
- Melt the candy coating according to directions on package and add the shorting, be careful not to overheat.
- Dip cake pops in melted candy and allow excess coating to drip off by tapping your wrist and place in the Styrofoam block or a box with holes to set.
- Before the chocolate coating is dry add a red heart sprinkle to right hand side of the cake pop.