Mint Oreo Chocolate Cupcakes. Fluffy chocolate cupcakes, filled with mint Oreo cookies, topped with a smooth and fluffy mint buttercream frosting. These cupcakes are the perfect combination of mint and chocolate.
Mint Oreo Cupcake
I could make cupcakes all day every day. I love making cupcakes and coming up with different cupcakes combinations. There are so many ways to get creative when you are making cupcakes and change them up to be perfect for any celebration, or just because.
Mint and chocolate go together perfectly and these Mint Oreo Chocolate Cupcakes are one of the best chocolate cupcakes. A fluffy chocolate cupcake that is stuffed with a mint Oreo and then topped with mint buttercream frosting and then finished off with another Oreo cookie on top.
These Chocolate mint cupcakes were a huge hit with everyone in my house and they have already asked me to make them again. To make these amazing cupcakes I used my favorite chocolate cupcake recipe along with my homemade mint buttercream frosting and then added a mint Oreo cookie and they were amazing!
Mint Chocolate Recipes
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- Andes Mint Cupcakes
- Mint Chocolate Cookie Milkshake
- Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
- Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Andes Mint Cookies
Tips for Making this recipe
Do not over mix. Over mixing the batter will lead to having tough cupcakes. Just mix the ingredients until they are mixed together.
Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting. If you frost cupcakes while they are still warm then the frosting will melt.
Use a knife to cut the Oreo. When you are cutting the Oreo Cookies in half to put on top of the frosting, use a sharp knife to cut them instead of breaking them in half.
Properly fill the piping bag with frosting. If you have never filled a pastry bag with frosting check out how to fill a pastry bag with frosting.
Pip frosting with a cupcake frosting swirl. If you have never made a cupcake frosting swirl, it is super easy to do. Check out how to make a frosting swirls on a cupcake to learn how.
How to Store Cupcakes
It is best to store cupcakes in an airtight container on the counter. Cupcakes are best to be enjoyed with in 48 hours of making them. They won’t be bad to eat after 40 hours but they will start to dry out and not be as fresh.
Can Cupcakes be frozen?
Yes they can. You will want to freeze them without any frosting on them. Wrap them individually with plastic wrap and freeze on a baking sheet. Then once they are solid store in a zip close freezer bag. They will keep for up to 2 months when frozen.
To thaw, simply remove them from the freezer and defrost. Then frost as normal.
How to Decorate Cupcakes
One of the most important things when making cupcakes is how you decorate them. Yes you can use a knife like my mom used to to spread frosting on top of them but they look so pretty and professional when you pipe the frosting to decorate them.
Piping frosting on cupcakes is easy, the hardest part is filling a pastry bag with the frosting and not making a mess. Check out this post for the easy way to fill a pastry bag with frosting.
The icing swirl is my all time favorite way to pipe frosting on a cupcake and it is SUPER easy to do! If you have never made an icing swirl, check out this step by step guide on how to make an icing swirl. It really changes the look of your cupcakes and they look like they came from a bakery!
After piping the frosting on top of the cupcakes add the cut in half Oreo cookie.
Mint Oreo Cupcake Ingredients
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- baking powder
- whole milk
- boiling water
- 36 mint Oreos
- 1 batch mint buttercream
Mint buttercream Ingredients
- confectionary sugar
- hot water
- mint extract
- green food coloring (optional)
How to Make Mint Oreo Chocolate Cupcakes
Bake the cupcakes and allow them to cool.
While the cupcakes are cooling make the buttercream frosting.
Place the mint buttercream into a piping bag with a large star piping.
Swirl the buttercream onto the cupcakes and top with an Oreo that has been cut in half.
Easy Cupcakes Recipes
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter And Jelly Cupcakes
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
- Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
- Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes
- Blueberry cupcakes
- Strawberry lemonade cupcakes
- Angel Food Cupcakes
Mint Oreo Chocolate Cupcakes
Mint Oreo Cupcake Ingredients
Mint Oreo Cupcake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tin with paper liners.
- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl add the eggs, whole milk, oil, and vanilla.
- Add the bowl containing the eggs, whole milk, oil, and vanilla to the bowl holding the dry ingredients.
- Beat for 3 minutes on medium.
- Slowly add the boiling water starting with a small amount then pour in the remaining boiling water.
- The batter may be a little runny.
- Line the cupcake pan with cupcake paper liners, place an oreo into each cupcake liner. Scoop batter into the liners until 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven allowing to cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the cupcake pan placing each on a wire rack to cool completely. While cupcakes are cooling make the buttercream frosting.
How to Make Mint Buttercream
- Start off by mixing the soft butter and shortening together till nice and creamy on medium speed.
- Turn the mixer down to the lowest setting and slowly incorporate the powdered sugar into the shortening mixture.
- Once you have added all the sugar to the mix add in the hot water and the mint extract.
- Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and continue mixing for 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
How to Assemble Cupcakes
- Place the mint buttercream into a piping bag with a large star piping.
- Swirl the buttercream onto the cupcakes and top with an Oreo that has been cut in half.