Spinach Stuffed Chicken Roll Ups are filled with ricotta cheese and spinach, then baked in the oven and topped with tomato sauce for an easy filling chicken dinner recipe.
Spinach Stuffed Chicken Roll Ups
Get ready to have a dinner you are going to love that looks harder to make then it is! These stuffed chicken roll ups are made with juicy chicken that is coated in bread crumbs and then filled with a ricotta cheese and spinach filling baked in the oven and topped with sauce.
They look like they are going to be hard to make but they are so easy and they don’t take much time at all to prep.
Stuffed Chicken Recipes
Variations of this recipe
Change up the sauce. You can use jarred sauce, homemade spaghetti sauce, or homemade marinara sauce.
Add cheese. You can add mozzarella cheese to the ricotta and spinach mixture or on top of the chicken rollups after you add the sauce on top of them.
Add more veggies. I love chicken roll ups with spinach but you can also add some sundried tomatoes, mushrooms or chopped artichokes with the spinach and ricotta cheese filling mixture.
Change up the bread crumbs. I like using panko break crumbs but you can also use Italian bread crumbs.
What type of chicken should I use?
I like using chicken cutlets for the convenience factor however they are just chicken breasts cut into thinner pieces so to keep the budget down I grab some chicken breasts and cut them into 2 thin pieces of chicken myself. If you are going with chicken breasts instead of chicken cutlets then you will need 2 chicken breasts instead of 4 chicken cutlets.
What do you serve with stuffed chicken?
There are lots of things that you can serve with this baked stuffed chicken recipe.
Pasta. Just about any pasta will pair well, you can do it with a sauce like homemade spaghetti sauce, pumpkin pasta sauce, Alfredo sauce, avocado pasta sauce, or simple like melted butter and a sprinkle of garlic.
Rice. You can serve just about any rice, brown rice or white rice will pair well. I also like to make garlic rice, or baked rice (which I normally have in the freezer to easily reheat for quick meals).
Veggies. Just about any veggie will work as a side dish for this winning chicken dinner recipe, green beans with bacon, Twice Baked potatoes, Whole Roasted Cauliflower, roasted broccoli, Mashed potatoes, Smashed Potatoes, Garlic Green Beans, and Roasted Brussel Sprouts.
Salad. Fresh made salads are always a go-to when I need something quick and easy, if you are looking for a tasty salad recipe, we have quite a few that we love including Olive Garden Copycat Salad, BLT Salad, Spinach strawberry salad and Caesar salad are our family favorites.
How to store Leftovers
Allow the chicken to cool completely and then store in an airtight container. The stuffed chicken will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To reheat the stuffed chicken breast heat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes until the chicken is reheated all the way thru.
Can you freeze chicken roll ups?
Yes you can! You can freeze them before baking or after which ever you prefer.
To Freeze before baking. Follow the directions until you are done stuffing and rolling the chicken roll ups. Then place on a baking sheet and in the freezer and freeze until they are frozen (1-2 hours). Then remove the chicken roll-ups from the baking sheet and place them in a zip close freezer bag or airtight container and store them in the freezer. To cook later remove from the freezer and thaw in the fridge and cook following the rest of the directions.
To Freeze after baking. Allow the chicken to cool completely. Then place on a baking sheet and in the freezer and freeze until they are frozen (1-2 hours). Then remove the chicken roll-ups from the baking sheet and place them in a zip close freezer bag or airtight container and store them in the freezer. To reheat after they have been frozen heat in the microwave for 5-6 minutes or in the oven at 350°F for 40-45 minutes.
Spinach Stuffed Chicken Roll Ups Ingredients
- chicken cutlets. You can also use chicken breast. If you are using chicken breasts then you will want to use 2 and slice them into 4 thin slices.
- black pepper
- Panko Crumbs. You can also use Italian bread crumbs if you do not have panko bread crumbs on hand.
- Ricotta cheese.
- baby spinach leaves. You will want to use fresh spinach over frozen. If you use frozen be sure to thaw it completely and then squeeze out any of the liquid before mixing it with the ricotta cheese.
- fresh chopped basil
- Pasta sauce. You can use jarred sauce, creamy tomato sauce, homemade spaghetti sauce, homemade marinara sauce, spicy tomato sauce or sundried tomato sauce.
How to make Spinach Stuffed Chicken Roll Ups Recipe
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Grease a large baking sheet or roasting pan with olive oil.
Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl mix the eggs together with a fork. Put each piece of chicken in the eggs.
Put seasoned bread crumbs in a shallow dish.
Remove the chicken, one piece at a time from the eggs, allow the excess egg to drip off then put the chicken in the bread crumbs using fingers to pat the crumbs on.
Put the chicken on a baking sheet. Repeat until all the chicken is coated.
Cut the spinach leaves into thin slices.
Combine the ricotta and spinach in a small bowl.
Spread the mixture onto the chicken cutlet.
Roll the chicken so the filling is on the inside.
Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes until golden and just cooked through.
Top each piece of chicken generously with sauce.
Return to oven about 10 minutes or until sauce has become warm.
Remove from the oven and serve on a bed of marina and garnish with fresh basil.
Chicken Dinner Recipes
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken Meatballs
- Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings
- Slow Cooker Garlic Ginger Chicken
- Chicken Enchilada Spaghetti Squash
- Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry
- Chinese Chicken and Broccoli
- Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla
- Chicken and Potato Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Nachos
Spinach Ricotta Chicken Roll Up
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.Grease a large baking sheet or roasting pan with olive oil.
- Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl mix the eggs together with a fork. Put each piece of chicken in the eggs.
- Put seasoned bread crumbs in a shallow dish.
- Remove the chicken, one piece at a time from the eggs, allow the excess egg to drip off then put the chicken in the bread crumbs using fingers to pat the crumbs on.
- Put the chicken on baking sheet. Repeat until all the chicken is coated.
- Cut the spinach leaves into thin slices.
- Combine the ricotta and spinach ribbons in a small bowl. Spread the mixture onto the chicken cutlet and roll up the chicken with the filling.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes until golden and just cooked through.
- Top each piece of chicken generously with sauce.
- Return to oven about 10 minutes or until sauce has become warm.
- Remove from the oven and serve on a bed of marina and garnish with fresh basil.
6 SmartPoints on Weight Watchers FreeStyle Plan
This recipe for ricotta chicken roll-ups is a great fancy dish to make to impress guests. Serve with some of your favorite marinara sauce, or with a side salad for a healthy and flavorful meal!