Tweet Tweet Spring is here! These cute Baby Birds in a Nest Spring Cupcakes put me into a spring mood! They are so stinking cute and they are perfect for welcoming spring!
Baby Bird Spring Cupcakes
If you are looking for an awesome spring cupcake then you are going to love these. I love making cupcakes and I love getting ready for seasons and holidays. The sun is shining and the weather is starting to warm up which means spring is coming. Spring is coming which means we need a cute and tasty cupcake to celebrate. Bring on these adorable and tasty homemade spring cupcakes.
These cupcakes will also make a great Easter cupcake! If you are looking for more amazing Easter Cupcakes check these out;
- Easter Bunny Cupcakes
- Easter Bunny Egg Nest Cupcakes
- Bunny Ears Cupcakes
- Chocolate Nest Cupcakes for Easter
Best Cupcakes for this Recipe
You can make whatever flavor cupcake you want to. Homemade cupcakes are my favorite but if you are looking for a short cut check out How To Make A Box Mix Taste Like A Bakery Cake and use that to make some amazing cupcakes. If you are looking for cupcake recipes check out some of our favorites.
- chocolate cupcakes
- strawberry cupcakes
- blueberry cupcakes
- Blackberry Cupcakes
- Raspberry cupcakes
- Angel Food Cupcakes
What is the best frosting to use for these cupcakes?
These spring cupcakes call for homemade buttercream, so I recommend this amazing homemade buttercream frosting. It is important to use a buttercream frosting so the swirl holds its shape and the birds shape on top.
You can use any flavor that you want to, I do suggest using a white frosting like marshmallow buttercream, Whipped Vanilla frosting or Almond buttercream if you do not want to use vanilla buttercream.
Tips for Making Spring Cupcakes
Follow the recipe. Each cupcake recipe is different. It is important to follow the recipe as directed. all of our cupcake recipes have been tested multiple times to make sure they are perfect.
Bring ingredients to room temperature. Cupcakes will bake best when the ingredients are brought to room temperature before mixing the cupcake batter.
Allow cupcakes to cool completely. Before frosting the cupcakes let them cool completely. If you frost cupcakes while they are still warm then the frosting will melt.
Do not over mix. Over mixing the batter will lead to having tough and flat cupcakes. When making cupcakes you have to be careful that you don’t over mix the batter when you are folding in the flour mixture. If you over-mix your angel food cake batter your cupcakes will turn out flat. You want to mix everything just until mixed, over mixing will cause you to have rough and tough cupcakes. We all know that the best cupcake are light and fluffy.
Fill the cupcake liners appropriately. You do not want to over fill the cupcake liners. Follow the directions for the specific cupcake recipe, if the recipe doesn’t tell you how full stick to the 2/3 full rule. Which is roughly 3 tablespoons of cupcake batter per cupcake liner.
Use the best kitchen tool for filling liners. If you are working with a thick cupcake batter then you want to use a spoon or a cookie scoop to fill the cupcake liners. If it is a thin cupcake batter then use a bowl with a spout or a glass measuring cup to pour in the batter.
Use quality cupcake liners. While you might not think it matters a cupcake liner but having a quality cupcake liner will make it so your cupcakes don’t stick to the wrapper and peel off nicely so you can see the perfect cupcake in it.
Bake one tray at a time. Using the center of the oven rack and bake one tray of cupcakes at a time. This will give you the best cupcake results.
Make sure you check out how to toast coconut to have the easiest way ever to have toasted coconut!
How to tell when cupcakes are done baking
I like to use the toothpick test when I am making cupcakes with the kids because it is easier for them to see and learn. But if you have been making cupcakes for a while you may not want to use that method.
If you are wanting an even easier method, the cupcake bounce done method as we call it is even easier. Pull the tray of cupcakes out from the oven and lightly press on a cupcake in the middle of the baking pan. If if bounces right back and no finger print is left behind then your cupcakes are done. If there is a finger print you need to bake them for a few more minutes.
How to Store Cupcakes
It is best to store cupcakes in an airtight container on the counter. Cupcakes are best to be enjoyed with in 48 hours of making them. They won’t be bad to eat after 40 hours but they will start to dry out and not be as fresh.
After frosting cupcakes you are ok to store them on the counter for a day or 2 but after that they should be stored in the fridge.
If you are storing them unfrosted you can store them in an airtight container or a plastic bag. If you are storing them with frosting on top I suggest using a cupcake storage container.
Baby Bird Cupcake Ingredients
How to Make Baby Bird Spring Cupcakes
Make your cupcakes and allow them to cool completely. While they are cooling make the buttercream frosting and the Toasted coconut.
Split the buttercream frosting into 2 separate bowls, 3/4ths of the frosting in one and 1/4th in the other bowl. Dye the smaller amount blue with food coloring.
Take your buttercream and pipe it onto the cupcake.
Next dip the cupcake into the toasted coconut and press it into the buttercream.
With your thumb press a hole for the baby birds.
Place blue buttercream into a piping bag with a round piping tip. Pipe three mounds for each bird.
Take two pieces of toast coconut and place in the birds face for the mouth.
Place two sprinkles above the mouth for the birds eyes.
Easy Cupcake Recipes
- Unicorn Cupcakes
- Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
- Owl Cupcakes
- Mickey Mouse Cupcakes
- Minnie Mouse cupcakes
- Smores Cupcakes
Baby Bird Cupcake
Baby Bird Cupcake Ingredients
- 24 Cupcakes
- 1 batch Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup Toasted coconut
- 1/4 cup Chocolate sprinkles
Vanilla Cupcake Recipe Ingredients
How to Make Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your cupcake pans with your choose of cupcake wrappers.
- Place your self-rising flour, cake flour, and sugar in the bowl of your mixer. Mix them together for a minute or two until they are well combined.
- Cut your butter into tablespoon pieces. Slowly add your butter into the flour mixture one piece at a time continue mixing until you have reached the texture of sand.
- Pour half of your milk into the flour mixture and mix just until the milk is incorporated. Use your rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of your bowl. Add your remaining milk and the vanilla to your batter and mix until combined.
- Slowly add in one egg at a time to the cake batter, making sure each egg is incorporated before adding the next egg.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake pan, filling them 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 10 minutes then rotate the cake pans so the pan that was on the top rack is now on the bottom and the pan that was on the bottom is now on the top rack. Continue to bake for another 10-13 minute until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cupcake.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack until they have reached room temperature.
How to Homemade Buttercream Frosting
- Place butter and shortening together in the bowl of your mixer. On medium speed mix them together until it is all creamed together.
- Turn the mixer to the lowest setting and slowly add the powdered sugar.
- Once all the powdered sugar has been added and mixed well add the vanilla extract and hot water(if you need to thin out the buttercream frosting)
- Turn the mixer to medium-high speed and continue mixing until the frosting is light and fluffy.
How to Make Baby Bird Spring Cupcakes
- Make your cupcakes and allow them to cool completely. While they are cooling make the buttercream frosting and the Toasted coconut.
- Split the buttercream frosting into 2 separate bowls, 3/4ths of the frosting in one and 1/4th in the other bowl. Dye the smaller amount blue with food coloring.
- Take your buttercream and pipe it onto the cupcake.
- Next dip the cupcake into the toasted coconut and press it into the buttercream.
- With your thumb press a hole for the baby birds.
- Place blue buttercream into a piping bag with a round piping tip. Pipe three mounds for each bird.
- Take two pieces of toast coconut and place in the birds face for the mouth.
- Place two sprinkles above the mouth for the birds eyes.