These Halloween Ghost cupcakes are simple to make and perfect for Halloween fun! The kids will love these ghost Halloween cupcakes and you will love how easy it is to make a fun Halloween cupcake! Made with homemade cupcakes and homemade buttercream this Halloween cupcake has amazing flavor. You can change things up and use a boxed cake mix if you want to!
Halloween Ghost Cupcakes
These cute ghost cupcakes are not only adorable but also incredibly tasty. With a homemade vanilla cupcake topped with homemade vanilla buttercream frosting, these cupcakes are just like the cupcakes you get at bakeries.
Whether you’re throwing a Halloween party or just looking to make things fun for your family, these cupcakes are sure to be a hit.
I love making fun Halloween treats for the kids. Sometimes I have lots of time and other times I have a limited amount of time to make Halloween treats for them. When I am running short on time my go-to is cupcakes. This Halloween dessert cupcake recipe is simple to make and the kids always love them.
Halloween Cupcakes Recipes
Variations of this recipe
Change up the cupcakes. With this cupcake recipe, you can use homemade cupcakes or make cupcakes made with boxed cake mix. I personally prefer to make homemade cupcakes instead of using a box mix. You can make any flavor of cupcake that you want. For the recipe included below I am using homemade vanilla cupcakes, but you can pick a different flavor of cupcake if you want.
- Chocolate cupcakes
- Mocha cupcakes
- Angel Food Cupcakes
- Peanut butter cupcakes
- Blackberry cupcakes
- Chocolate chip cupcakes
Change up the buttercream. You will want to use a white frosting since you are going to be making the ghost cupcake topper with the frosting, but there are a few different options that will work well with this recipe. You can use vanilla buttercream, almond buttercream, marshmallow buttercream or cream cheese frosting.
Making the ghost face. I like using buttercream frosting when making the ghost face, but you can also use mini chocolate chips for the eyes. You can also opt to use the premade storebought frosting that comes in a tube if you do not want to mess with making black frosting.
Tips for Perfect Ghost Cupcakes
Room Temperature Ingredients: Make sure your butter, eggs, and buttermilk are all at room temperature. This ensures a smoother batter and better cupcakes.
Don’t Overmix: When combining your wet and dry ingredients, mix just until everything is well combined. Overmixing can result in dense cupcakes.
Proper Cooling: Let your cupcakes cool completely before adding the fondant decorations. This prevents them from melting or becoming too soft.
Use a Piping Bag. When you are frosting the cupcakes to get the perfect “plop of frosting” on top of the cupcake so it is in the shape of a ghost a piping bag is the best way to go. When you are decorating the face you will want to use a piping bag with a small tip.
Use the right sized tips. When you are piping the frosting on to the cupcakes you will want to use a large round tip. When you are adding on the details you will want to use a thin round tip.
Cupcake liners. It is best to use cupcake liners when you are making cupcakes so they do not stick to the cupcake pan.
Use an electric mixer. I like using my stand mixer whenever I am baking but if you do not have one then you can use an electric hand mixer and a large mixing bowl to make this recipe.
How do you make a Ghost Cupcake Topper with Frosting?
These cute ghosts are crafted entirely from frosting! To make their spooky appearance, simply use a piping bag to create three flat, circular mounds of frosting, stacked on top of one another, on top of each cupcake. Complete the ghostly effect by making the face with frosting or mini chocolate chips as “eyes” for each mound.
What can I use instead of a piping bag?
If you don’t have a pastry bag and tip, you can spoon the frosting into the base of a large resealable bag. Afterward, twist the bag slightly above the level of the frosting, and then trim off the bottom corner using a pair of scissors.
How to Store Cupcakes
If you happen to have any leftover ghost cupcakes (though they’re so delectable that might be a rare occurrence), it’s essential to store them properly to maintain their freshness.
Begin by placing the cupcakes in an airtight container or covering them with plastic wrap. You have two storage options: keep them at room temperature for a span of 2-3 days or extend their shelf life by refrigerating them for up to a week.
Just remember, when storing these adorable treats, avoid stacking them to prevent any smudging of the ghost-shaped frosting decorations. This way, your ghost cupcakes will remain as spooky and scrumptious as when you first made them.
Halloween Ghost Cupcake Ingredients
- 12 Cupcakes. If you are using the recipe included below it is for Vanilla cupcakes, but you can use any flavor cupcake that you want.
- Vanilla buttercream Frosting or any other white frosting.
- Black food coloring
How to Make Halloween Ghost Cupcakes
Bake the cupcakes and allow them to cool completely.
While the cupcakes are cooling, make the buttercream frosting.
After you’ve prepared your frosting, take out 1/2 cup of it and blend it with black gel food coloring.
Get your pastry bags ready and insert the large round pastry tip into one of the bags. Fill this bag with the white frosting.
Prepare a second pastry bag, fix it with the small pastry tip, and load it with the black-colored frosting.
Use the white frosting to pipe ghost-shaped figures on top of the unfrosted cupcakes.
Next, create a black oval shape for the mouth and two small circles for the eyes on each cupcake using the black frosting.
Ghost Halloween Treats
- Ghost String Cheese
- Ghost Yogurt Banana Pops
- Chocolate Ghost Pops
- Ghost Marshmallow Hot Chocolate
- White chocolate ghost pops
Halloween Ghost cupcakes
Vanilla Cupcake Ingredients
How to Make Vanilla Cupcakes
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Line your cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- In the stand mixer’s bowl, combine self-rising flour, cake flour, and sugar. Blend these ingredients together for a minute or two until they are thoroughly mixed.
- Take your butter and cut it into tablespoon-sized pieces. Gradually introduce each piece of butter into the flour mixture, one at a time, while continuing to mix until the mixture reaches a sand-like texture.
- Pour half of your milk into the flour mixture and mix until the milk is fully incorporated. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of your bowl. Add the remaining milk and vanilla to your batter, and mix until everything is well combined.
- Add one egg at a time to the cake batter, ensuring that each egg is fully integrated before adding the next.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake pan, filling each liner approximately 3/4 full.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then rotate the cake pans so that the pan previously on the top rack is now on the bottom, and vice versa. Continue baking for another 10-13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack and allow them to cool to room temperature.
How to make Buttercream Frosting
- When preparing this simple buttercream frosting, I utilize my KitchenAid mixer.
- However, if you don’t have a stand mixer, a hand mixer works just as well. Both options get the job done, but personally, I favor the stand mixer.
- Whipping up homemade buttercream frosting is incredibly straightforward.
- In the bowl of your mixer, combine the butter and shortening.
- Next, gradually introduce the powdered sugar, mixing it incrementally until it blends seamlessly with the butter and shortening mixture.
Assembling Halloween Ghost Cupcakes
- While your cupcakes are cooling, make the preferred.
- After you’ve prepared your frosting, take out 1/2 cup of it and blend it with black gel food coloring.
- Get your pastry bags ready and insert the large round pastry tip into one of the bags. Fill this bag with the white frosting.
- Prepare a second pastry bag, fix it with the small pastry tip, and load it with the black-colored frosting.
- Use the white frosting to pipe ghost-shaped figures on top of the unfrosted cupcakes.
- Next, create a black oval shape for the mouth and two small circles for the eyes on each cupcake using the black frosting.
49 Weight Watchers Smartpoints per cupcake
More Halloween Fun you will love!