Candy Corn CupcakesWhen I am making holiday treats I want them to be festive but I also want them to be easy. There is no time for over the top creativity here because well, I am always short on time. But it becomes an internal fight for me because I badly want to be creative and go all out for every holiday there is. To solve this problem I have come up with many different holiday treats that look amazing but take a short amount of time to make. Plus are super easy to make too. These candy corn cupcakes are the perfect example. Homemade cupcakes and homemade buttercream frosting is all I need. Well and a little bit of food coloring. Easy peasy and they look beautiful and are the perfect Halloween cupcake when I am done. Looking for more easy Halloween treats? Check these out!
Variations of Candy Corn CupcakesI use Vanilla cupcake most of the time when I am making these easy Halloween cupcakes. I keep them uncolored most of the time, but if you are wanting to go all out, be my guest. You can totally dye the cupcakes different colors to make them match the candy corn frosting layers, but again time is limited in my house. If you are wanting to change up the flavors there are lots of other cupcake flavors that you can use go for it. If you are looking for more cupcake flavors be sure to check out the other tasty cupcake recipes we have shared.
- Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes
- Peanut butter cupcakes
- chocolate cupcakes
- blackberry cupcakes
- chocolate chip cupcakes
- strawberry cupcakes
- Angel Food cupcakes
Decorating Halloween CupcakesIf you have never decorated cupcakes, be sure to check out these posts to help you. I promise you that it is super easy to have bakery fancy cupcakes made at home in your kitchen! Properly fill the piping bag with frosting. If you have never filled a pastry bag with frosting check out how to fill a pastry bag with frosting. Pip frosting with a cupcake frosting swirl. If you have never made a cupcake frosting swirl, it is super easy to do. Check out how to make a frosting swirls on a cupcake to learn how.
How to Store CupcakesIt is best to store cupcakes in an airtight container on the counter. Cupcakes are best to be enjoyed with in 48 hours of making them. They won’t be bad to eat after 40 hours but they will start to dry out and not be as fresh.
Can Cupcakes be frozen?Yes they can. You will want to freeze them without any frosting on them. Wrap them individually with plastic wrap and freeze on a baking sheet. Then once they are solid store in a zip close freezer bag. They will keep for up to 2 months when frozen. To thaw, simply remove them from the freezer and defrost. Then frost as normal.
Candy Corn Cupcakes Supplies
- 3 Large round pastry tips
- 3 Pastry Bags
- buttercream frosting
- gel food coloring
How to Make Candy Corn CupcakesFirst make your cupcakes, while the cupcakes are baking make your frosting. Cool the cupcakes completely.
Candy Corn Cupcakes
- 3 Large round pastry tips
- 3 Pastry Bags
Vanilla Cupcakes Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- 1.5 cups Butter
- 1.5 cups Shortening
- 3 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3 pounds Confectioners sugar
- 2 1/4 tablespoons hot water
- Food Coloring
- Bring the butter to room temperature. Do NOT put it in the microwave to soften, put it on the kitchen counter and soften.
- Add the butter and the shortening to the bowl of the stand mixer bowl. Using the paddle handle on the mixer to combine the two on medium speed.
- Once butter and shortening are combined slowly add in the confectioners sugar and mix it little bit little until the sugar is incorporated into the butter/shortening mixture.
- If the frosting is thick add a little water a little bit at a time until you get to the consistency you are wanting.
- Set the frosting aside until the cupcakes are done cooling.
Vanilla Cupcakes Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your cupcake pans with your choose of cupcake wrappers.
- Place your self-rising flour, cake flour, and sugar in the bowl of your mixer. Mix them together for a minute or two until they are well combined.
- Cut your butter into tablespoon pieces. Slowly add your butter into the flour mixture one piece at a time continue mixing until you have reached the texture of sand.
- Pour half of your milk into the flour mixture and mix just until the milk is incorporated. Use your rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of your bowl. Add your remaining milk and the vanilla to your batter and mix until combined.
- Slowly add in one egg at a time to the cake batter, making sure each egg is incorporated before adding the next egg.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake pan, filling them 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 10 minutes then rotate the cake pans so the pan that was on the top rack is now on the bottom and the pan that was on the bottom is now on the top rack. Continue to bake for another 10-13 minute until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cupcake.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack until they have reached room temperature.
How to Make Candy Corn Cupcakes
- First make your cupcakes, while the cupcakes are baking make your frosting. Cool the cupcakes completely.
- Split the frosting into 3 batches, color one batch yellow, one batch orange and leave one batch white. Use gel food coloring to color the frosting.
- Add the frosting to the pastry bags putting one color in each pastry bag. You will want to use a large tip for each color when setting up the pastry bags.
- Pipe a single layer swirl on the cupcake with the orange colored buttercream on each cupcake.
- Using the yellow colored buttercream, pipe a single layer swirl just a little smaller on top of the orange swirl on all of the cupcakes.
- Then pipe a single layer swirl just a little smaller on top of the yellow with the white buttercream on all of the cupcakes.
Looking for more Halloween Recipes? Check these out!
Comments & Reviews
How clever! I definitely want to try this!