These easy spider web cupcakes are the perfect easy halloween cupcake! Homemade cupcakes and homemade buttercream frosting make for the best cupcakes!
Spider Web Cupcakes
Are you looking to add a little spooky touch to your Halloween night well these Spider web cupcakes are a sweet way to do that. These Spider web cupcakes are easy to make and perfect for Halloween fun! The kids will love them!
I love having fun and making holiday treats for any holiday that I can but the catch is that I need them to be quick and easy to make. I don’t have a ton of time to spend making extravagant treats as much as I would like to so I am always coming up with easy holiday recipes to make for the kids.
Cupcakes are my go to when I am making treats, I love making cupcakes and I love being able to change up the flavors of homemade cupcakes and homemade frosting for what we are in the mood for.
The best thing about these cupcakes is they are so easy to make. If you need a last minute halloween cupcake recipe, then make a batch of cupcakes and then turn them into spooky spider webs!
Tips For Decorating Halloween Cupcakes
Piping frosting on cupcakes is easy, the hardest part is filling a pastry bag with the frosting and not making a mess. Check out this post for the easy way to fill a pastry bag with frosting.
The icing swirl is my all time favorite way to pipe frosting on a cupcake and it is SUPER easy to do! If you have never made an icing swirl, check out this step by step guide on how to make an icing swirl. It really changes the look of your cupcakes and they look like they came from a bakery!
Tips for Making this recipe
Do not over mix. Over mixing the batter will lead to having tough cupcakes. Just mix the ingredients until they are mixed together.
Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting. If you frost cupcakes while they are still warm then the frosting will melt.
Properly fill the piping bag with frosting. If you have never filled a pastry bag with frosting check out how to fill a pastry bag with frosting.
How to Store Cupcakes
It is best to store cupcakes in an airtight container on the counter. Cupcakes are best to be enjoyed with in 48 hours of making them. They won’t be bad to eat after 40 hours but they will start to dry out and not be as fresh.
Can Cupcakes be frozen?
Yes they can. You will want to freeze them without any frosting on them. Wrap them individually with plastic wrap and freeze on a baking sheet. Then once they are solid store in a zip close freezer bag. They will keep for up to 2 months when frozen.
To thaw, simply remove them from the freezer and defrost. Then frost as normal.
Spider Web Cupcakes Supplies
- Large round pastry tip
- Small round pastry tip
- Pastry Bag
- Tooth pick
Spiderweb Cupcakes Ingredients
Cupcakes. I used vanilla cupcakes for these halloween cupcakes but you can use any cupcake flavor you want to. If you are looking for other cupcake flavors, be sure to check out some of the other tasty cupcake recipe we have.
- Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Mocha Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter cupcakes
- Strawberry Cupcakes
- Chocolate cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- Angel Food Cupcakes
Buttercream frosting. You can use any frosting that is white, I used vanilla buttercream frosting to make these but you can also use marshmallow buttercream and almond buttercream. You will want one batch of our buttercream frosting recipes for a batch of our cupcakes.
Food Coloring. You will need Black Gel Food Coloring and i suggest using a gel food coloring instead of a liquid food coloring.
How to Make Spider Web Cupcakes
Bake the cupcakes and allow them to cool completely. While they are cooling make your buttercream frosting.
Place your large round pastry tip in your pastry bag and fill it with the white buttercream. Pipe a flat round swirl on the cupcake.
Place the small pastry tip in the pastry bag and fill it with the black buttercream. Pipe black swirl on the cupcake.
Using a tooth pick or corn on the cob holders, start in the center and drag the tooth pick out to the edge of the cupcake. Repeat around the whole cupcake seven to eight times.
Easy Halloween Recipes
- Spider Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Oreo Pops
- Mummy Cookies
- Mummy Twinkies
- Vampire cookies
- Halloween Hot Chocolate
- Ghost Lolipops
- Monster eyeball Cookies
- Large round pastry tip
- Small round pastry tip
- Pastry bag
- Tooth pick
- Black Food Coloring
Vanilla Cupcakes Ingredients
How to Make Vanilla Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your cupcake pans with your choose of cupcake wrappers.
- Place your self-rising flour, cake flour, and sugar in the bowl of your mixer. Mix them together for a minute or two until they are well combined.
- Cut your butter into tablespoon pieces. Slowly add your butter into the flour mixture one piece at a time continue mixing until you have reached the texture of sand.
- Pour half of your milk into the flour mixture and mix just until the milk is incorporated. Use your rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of your bowl. Add your remaining milk and the vanilla to your batter and mix until combined.
- Slowly add in one egg at a time to the cake batter, making sure each egg is incorporated before adding the next egg.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake pan, filling them 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 10 minutes then rotate the cake pans so the pan that was on the top rack is now on the bottom and the pan that was on the bottom is now on the top rack. Continue to bake for another 10-13 minute until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cupcake.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack until they have reached room temperature.
How to Make Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- In the bowl of your stand mixer add the butter and shortening. Mix on medium speed until they are creamed together.
- Turn the mixer speed down to the lowest setting and slowly add thee powdered sugar.
- Once all the powdered sugar is in add the vanilla extract and the hot water.
- Turn mixer up to medium-high speed and continue mixing for 10 minutes.
How To Make Spiderweb cupcakes
- Bake the cupcakes and allow them to cool completely. While they are cooling make your buttercream frosting.
- Take 1/5th of the frosting and color it black with food coloring.
- Place your large round pastry tip in your pastry bag and fill it with the white buttercream. Pipe a flat round swirl on the cupcake.
- Place the small pastry tip in the pastry bag and fill it with the black buttercream. Pipe black swirl on the cupcake.Using a tooth pick or corn on the cob holders, start in the center and drag the tooth pick out to the edge of the cupcake. Repeat around the whole cupcake seven to eight times.