These are the best Peanut Butter Cupcakes ever! This moist cupcakes recipe is a must-make for peanut butter lovers. Made with simple ingredients, these peanut butter cupcakes are moist, fluffy, and loaded with peanut butter flavor. Top these cupcakes with a creamy peanut butter frosting for a delicious sweet treat!
Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Recently, I noticed I was missing from our cupcakes recipes was Peanut Butter Cupcakes. How over the years we missed getting this one on the blog I am not sure. But we did, but I am fixing that now! Better late than never is the saying right?
This delicious cupcake recipe is one I have been making forever. I have a house full of peanut butter lovers who are always asking for peanut butter treats and this is one of their favorites. Tender peanut butter cupcakes
This peanut butter cupcake recipe gives you a moist peanut buttery cupcake that is sure to wow anyone you make them for. Seriously this is the best homemade peanut butter cupcakes recipe ever.
Peanut Butter Dessert Recipes
- Peanut butter cookies
- Peanut butter blossom cookies
- Peanut Butter cup dessert dip
- peanut butter cookie cups
What Frosting goes with Peanut Butter Cupcakes?
When it comes to frosting for peanut butter cupcakes, the best flavor is peanut butter frosting. I use my favorite creamy peanut butter frosting recipe. It complements the peanut butter flavor in the cupcakes and creates a delicious, creamy texture. However, if you want to add a different flavor, you could try Chocolate buttercream frosting, The BEST Vanilla Buttercream Frosting, or even cream cheese frosting. These flavors work well with the nutty flavor of peanut butter and create a nice balance of sweetness.
There are of course times when I like to change things up a bit. Check out these other frosting recipes that go well with these moist peanut butter cupcakes:
- Chocolate buttercream frosting
- Monster Cookie dough frosting
- Marshmallow Buttercream
- Peanut butter cookie frosting
If you are wanting to up the awesomeness of Peanut Butter and Jelly cupcakes, instead of using a vanilla cupcake, use these. Then use either Blackberry Buttercream Frosting or Strawberry buttercream paired with the peanut butter buttercream and you have one really awesome cupcake!
If you or someone you know, are a big peanut butter fan then you are going to want to make these easy peanut butter cupcakes. Then to make them even more amazing, use peanut butter buttercream and then finish them off by topping them with chopped peanuts. Oh! That flavor combo is a peanut butter lover’s dream!
Peanut Butter Frosted Cupcakes Combination Ideas
If you are stuck on what frosting to use and how to make these peanut butter cupcakes with frosting here are some of our favorite combinations:
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cupcakes. Top the peanut butter cupcakes with chocolate frosting and then add crushed Reese’s cups or Reese’s pieces on top.
- Double Peanut Butter cupcakes. Top the fluffy peanut butter cupcakes with peanut butter buttercream frosting for the perfect treat for peanut butter lovers.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter cupcakes. Top the peanut butter cupcakes with rich chocolate frosting.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes. Top the cupcakes with Strawberry frosting or blackberry frosting for a fun twist on PB and J.
Cupcake Decorating Tips
You will want to also check out How to make a cupcake swirl to learn the basics before making your frosting swirl. If you are using different flavored frostings and want them both on top of your cupcake swirled together, check out how to swirl two icing flavors. If you want to layer your frosting flavors, check out the layered frosting swirl!
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely. Before frosting the cupcakes let them cool completely. If you frost cupcakes while they are still warm then the frosting will melt.
- Use a piping bag. Instead of just spreading the frosting on top, cupcakes look so much better when you pipe the frosting ontop instead of spreading it and it is super easy to do.
Tips for Baking Cupcakes
Follow the recipe. Each cupcake recipe is different. It is important to follow the recipe as directed. all of our cupcake recipes have been tested multiple times to make sure they are perfect.
Bring ingredients to room temperature. Cupcakes will bake best when the ingredients are brought to room temperature before mixing the cupcake batter.
Do not over mix. Over mixing the batter will lead to tough and flat cupcakes. When making cupcakes you have to be careful that you don’t over mix the batter when you are folding in the flour mixture. If you over-mix your angel food cake batter your cupcakes will turn out flat. You want to mix everything just until mixed, over mixing will cause you to have rough and tough cupcakes. We all know that the best cupcakes are light and fluffy.
Use a mixer. I find it easiest to use a stand mixer but you can also use a large mixing bowl and an electric mixer.
Fill the cupcake liners appropriately. You do not want to overfill the cupcake liners. Follow the directions for the specific cupcake recipe, if the recipe doesn’t tell you how full stick to the 2/3 full rule. Which is roughly 3 tablespoons of cupcake batter per cupcake liner.
Use the best kitchen tool for filling liners. If you are working with a thick cupcake batter then you want to use a spoon or a cookie scoop to fill the cupcake liners. If it is a thin cupcake batter then use a bowl with a spout or a glass measuring cup to pour in the batter.
Use quality cupcake liners. While you might not think it matters a cupcake liner but having a quality cupcake liner will make it so your cupcakes don’t stick to the wrapper and peel off nicely so you can see the perfect cupcake in it.
Bake one tray at a time. Using the center of the oven rack and bake one tray of cupcakes at a time. This will give you the best cupcake results.
What is the best peanut butter to use when making peanut butter cupcakes?
When it comes to making peanut butter cupcakes, it’s best to use a natural peanut butter that doesn’t contain any added sugar or oil. This will give your cupcakes a rich, nutty flavor without being too sweet or oily. Look for peanut butter that has a smooth and creamy texture, so it can easily mix into the batter. Some popular natural peanut butter brands include Justin’s, Smucker’s Natural, and Trader Joe’s. However, you can also use your favorite brand of peanut butter as long as it doesn’t contain any added ingredients that might affect the texture or taste of your cupcakes.
Do I need to use a Stand Mixer when making cupcakes?
I personally prefer to use a stand mixer because it makes my life easier. However, you do not have to. You can use a large bowl and a hand mixer to make this cupcake recipe.
How to tell when cupcakes are done baking
I like to use the toothpick test when I am making cupcakes with the kids because it is easier for them to see and learn. But if you have been making cupcakes for a while you may not want to use that method. If you are wanting an even easier method, the cupcake bounce method as we call it is even easier. Pull the tray of cupcakes out from the oven and lightly press on a cupcake in the middle of the baking pan. If it bounces right back and no fingerprint is left behind then your cupcakes are done. If there is a fingerprint you need to bake them for a few more minutes.
How to Store Cupcakes
It is best to store cupcakes in an airtight container on the counter. Cupcakes are best to be enjoyed with in 48 hours of making them. They won’t be bad to eat after 40 hours but they will start to dry out and not be as fresh.
After frosting cupcakes, you are ok to store them on the counter for a day or 2 but after that, they should be stored in the fridge.
If you are storing them unfrosted you can store them in an airtight container or a plastic bag. If you are storing them with frosting on top I suggest using a cupcake storage container.
Can Cupcakes be frozen?
Yes, they can. You will want to freeze them without any frosting on them. Wrap them individually with plastic wrap and freeze them on a baking sheet. Then once they are solid store them in a zip close freezer bag. They will keep for up to 2 months when frozen.
To thaw, simply remove them from the freezer and defrost them. Then frost as normal.
Peanut Butter Cupcakes Ingredients
- self-rising flour.
- cake flour.
- granulated sugar.
- unsalted butter, at room temperature.
- peanut butter.
- vanilla extract. You can use store-bought or homemade vanilla extract.
How to Make Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your cupcake pans with your choice of cupcake wrappers.
Place the dry ingredients, self-rising flour, cake flour, and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix them together using the paddle attachment for a minute or two until they are well combined.
Cut the butter into tablespoon pieces. Slowly add the butter into the flour mixture one piece at a time and continue mixing on medium speed until you have reached the texture of sand.
Add in the smooth peanut butter and mix until combined.
Pour half of the milk into the mixture and mix just until the milk is incorporated. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the remaining milk and the vanilla extract to the cupcake batter and mix until combined.
Slowly add one egg at a time to the cake batter, while mixing at the lowest speed. Mix until all of the eggs are incorporated into the batter.
Spoon batter into the prepared cupcake pan, filling them 3/4 of the way full.
Bake for 10 minutes then rotate the cake pans so the pan that was on the top rack is now on the bottom and the pan that was on the bottom is now on the top rack. Continue to bake for another 10-13 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cupcake.
Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling wire rack until they have reached room temperature.
Once the cupcakes have cooled pipe frosting of your choice onto the top of the cupcakes.
I am not sure if you know this or not, but around here we love cupcakes. If you are looking for amazing homemade cupcake recipes, be sure to check out our other cupcake recipes.
- Cafe Mocha Cupcakes
- Samoas Cupcakes
- Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes
- Angel Food Cupcakes
- blackberry cupcakes
- blueberry cupcakes
- strawberry lemonade cupcakes
- chocolate chip cupcakes
- Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes
- Moist chocolate cupcake recipe
- vanilla cupcakes
- strawberry cupcakes
peanut butter cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your cupcake pans with your choice of cupcake wrappers.
- Place your self-rising flour, cake flour, and sugar in the bowl of your mixer. Mix them together for a minute or two until they are well combined.
- Cut your butter into tablespoon pieces. Slowly add your butter into the flour mixture one piece at a time continue mixing until you have reached the texture of sand. Add in the peanut butter and stir until combined.
- Pour half of your milk into the flour mixture and mix just until the milk is incorporated. Use your rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of your bowl. Add your remaining milk and the vanilla to your batter and mix until combined.
- Slowly add in one egg at a time to the cake batter, making sure each egg is incorporated before adding the next egg.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake pan, filling them 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 10 minutes then rotate the cake pans so the pan that was on the top rack is now on the bottom and the pan that was on the bottom is now on the top rack. Continue to bake for another 10-13 minute until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cupcake.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack until they have reached room temperature.
- Once cool they are ready to be decorated.
20 Weight Watchers Smart Points on the Freestyle Program
Do yourself a favor and print out the How Many Cups in a Gallon? and other liquid measurements printable to help you with your measurements in the kitchen! It has you covered with everything, from cups, to pints and more! I have mine hanging on my fridge. It makes a super easy cheat sheet for whenever I am cooking and need to use liquid measurements.