How to Make Boxed Cake Mix taste like Bakery cake. Step by step directions on How to Make Boxed Cake Mix taste like Bakery cake are easy to follow and will give you one amazing moist cake! If you want a homemade cake flavor using a box of cake mix this is the post for you!
How to a Make Boxed Cake Mix taste like Bakery cake
As much as I love a fully homemade from scratch cake, there are times when that is just not possible. My backup is making a box of store bought cake mix taste like a homemade cake.
It is a simple way to make the boxed cake taste just like the cakes you get at the bakery, and it only takes a few added ingredients to do so.
I am a baker and after a lot of testing in my kitchen I came up with this easy recipe to make your boxed cake mix taste like you bought it from a bakery. I have been using this recipe for years, and I shared it years ago with you guys and I thought it was time to update the pics and answer some of the questions that are always asked about making a boxed cake taste homemade.
I have worked in quite a few bakeries and the majority of them use a cake mix when making their cakes. The basics of the cake mix is what you find in traditional store box mix, but then there are different added ingredients which make the cake the traditional bakery cake you are used to.
How to Make your Cake Taste homemade
Aside from the easy step by step directions below there are a few other things you can do that will help you doctor up a box of cake mix and have it be the most amazing boxed cake mix that tastes homemade ever!
Add ins. Get creative and add things like crushed up cookies, sprinkles, chocolate candies, swirls of jelly and more. You can let your imagination run wild and get totally creative with the things that you add in!
Homemade Frosting. Seriously skip all of that store bough frosting. It is SO easy to make frosting at home, and any flavor you want too! A homemade frosting can totally take a cake from bland to over the top! So even if you are not fancying up your boxed cake mix (even though I think it is a must), adding a homemade frosting will make a world of a difference!
Looking for Frosting recipes ? Check these out!
- Raspberry buttercream
- Mint Buttercream
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- vanilla buttercream
- marshmallow buttercream
- Caramel Buttercream
- Chocolate Raspberry buttercream
- Peanut butter buttercream
What Flavor Boxed Cake Mix can I use?
Any flavor cake mix will work with this recipe.
If you are stuck coming up with flavor combinations fo cake and frosting here are a few of my favorites.
- Red Velvet cake – Cream Cheese Frosting or Vanilla Buttercream.
- Chocolate Cake – Chocolate frosting, raspberry frosting, mint frosting or Almond buttercream.
- Vanilla Cake –
- Lemon Cake – Lemon buttercream, raspberry buttercream or vanilla buttercream.
- Strawberry cake – Lemon buttercream, chocolate buttercream, or vanilla buttercream.
How much cake does this recipe make?
This makes the amount of batter you have equal to 1 and 1/2 boxed cake mixes. Follow this guide for making different sized cakes:
- Using a 6 inch round cake pan – 3 cakes.
- Using a 10 inch round pan – 1 cake
- Using a 9 inch by 13 inch cake pan – 1.5 cakes
- Cupcakes – 36
Cake Baking Supplies
You will need a few supplies to make this recipe.
- Stand mixer
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
If you are going to be baking a cake, I highly suggest getting spring pans. Using spring pans makes it so much easier to remove the cake after it has baked.
If you are making cupcakes I highly suggest using cupcake liners. They are much easier then baking cupcakes in a baking pan alone.
Make a Boxed Cake Mix Taste Homemade Ingredients
- 1 box cake mix (Any Flavor)
- dash of salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup water
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
How to Make Boxed Cake Mix taste homemade
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and grease your cake pans.
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
In your stand mixer bowl add the wet ingredients.
Add half of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix together. Then add the rest of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix completely.
Mix everything on medium speed for 2 minutes.
Pour the cake batter in to cake pans or cupcake pans. Be sure to only fill the pans half way if making a cake and 2/3 the way if making cupcakes.
Bake at 300 degrees for about 25 minutes then turn the oven up to 325 for an additional 25 minutes.
If you are making cupcakes then you will want to have the cook time be 20 minutes at 300 and an additional 20 minutes at 325.
Looking for more uses for Boxed cake mix? Check these out!
- Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- Funfetti Cake mix cookie sandwiches
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
- Rainbow Cake Recipe
Looking for more cake ideas? Check these out!
How To Make A Box Mix Taste Like A Bakery Cake
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and grease your pans
- Whisk together the dry ingredients
- In mixer bowl place the wet ingredients
- Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients into the bowl and mix together
- Then add the rest of the dry ingredients and blend
- Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed
- Pour the batter half way up prepared pans or 2/3 of the cupcake pan
- Bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time.
More Dessert Recipes you will love!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest recipes right in your inbox every time we post a new one!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here