Thing One And Thing Two Cupcakes. These easy Dr. Seuss Cupcakes are perfect for a Dr. Seuss party! Homemade cupcakes with homemade frosting easily decorated to look like Dr. Seuss’s Thing One and Thing Two!
Thing One And Thing Two Cupcakes
I love Dr. Seuss and I wanted something fun for his birthday. Yes, I know it passed about 2 months ago, but if you want to have an easy Dr. Seuss cupcake recipe this is it! So hold on to this recipe for next March 2, when Dr. Seuss’s Birthday day comes around again.
I wanted a cupcake recipe that was easy to make but also totally adorable. I was short on time this year but still wanted to do something fun. We had green eggs and bacon for breakfast to be a spin-off of green eggs and ham since I forgot to get the ham slices. Then for dessert that night we had these adorable Dr. Seuss Cupcakes.
Easy Character Cupcakes
We love Character cupcakes, if you are looking for more check out some of our favorites!
- Minnie Mouse Cupcakes
- Frozen Cupcakes
- Goofy Cupcakes
- Daisy Duck Cupcakes
- Pluto Cupcakes
- Baymax cupcakes
- BB-8 Cupcakes
- Mickey Mouse Cupcakes
What Frosting should I use?
I always use homemade buttercream frosting when making cupcakes, I am not a fan of the jarred stuff at all. Since you are going to be coloring the frosting you want to use a white frosting. If you are looking for a different flavor cupcake other than vanilla buttercream check out some of our other white frosting recipes. I recommend marshmallow buttercream, almond buttercream, cream cheese frosting or vanilla whipped frosting.
What Cupcake Flavor Should I use?
I used Red Velvet cupcakes for mine however you can use any cupcake flavor you want to. If you are using a vanilla cupcake, Angel Food Cupcakes, or almond cupcakes then you can always use red food coloring to make the cupcakes red.
You can always go with your preferred cupcake flavor and decorate them with the decorating instructions. If you are looking for more cupcake flavors? Check out some of our other cupcake recipes.
- Mocha Cupcakes
- Blueberry cupcakes
- Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes
- Lemon blueberry cupcakes
- chocolate cupcakes
- Strawberry cupcakes
- Peanut butter cupcakes
How to Bake the Best Homemade Cupcakes
Follow the recipe. Each cupcake recipe is different. It is important to follow the recipe as directed. all of our cupcake recipes have been tested multiple times to make sure they are perfect.
Bring ingredients to room temperature. Cupcakes will bake best when the ingredients are brought to room temperature before mixing the cupcake batter.
Do not over mix. Over mixing the batter will lead to having tough and flat cupcakes. When making cupcakes you have to be careful that you don’t over mix the batter when you are folding in the flour mixture. If you over-mix your cake batter your cupcakes will turn out flat.
Fill the cupcake liners appropriately. You do not want to over fill the cupcake liners. Follow the directions for the specific cupcake recipe, if the recipe doesn’t tell you how full stick to the 2/3 full rule. Which is roughly 3 tablespoons of cupcake batter per cupcake liner.
Use the best kitchen tool for filling liners. If you are working with a thick cupcake batter then you want to use a spoon or a cookie scoop to fill the cupcake liners. If it is a thin cupcake batter then use a bowl with a spout or a glass measuring cup to pour in the batter.
Use quality cupcake liners. While you might not think it matters a cupcake liner but having a quality cupcake liner will make it so your cupcakes don’t stick to the wrapper and peel off nicely so you can see the perfect cupcake in it
Tips for Frosting Homemade Cupcakes
Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting. If you frost cupcakes while they are still warm then the frosting will melt.
You can easily turn these cupcakes into filled chocolate cupcakes by adding a filling after baking them, by using an apple corer to remove about one inch of the center of each cupcake. Then you can put whatever filling you want to in them.
If you have never decorated cupcakes, be sure to check out these posts to help you. I promise you that it is super easy to have bakery fancy cupcakes made at home in your kitchen!
- How to get a perfect cupcake swirl
- Easy Way to Fill a pastry bag
- How to Swirl multiple Flavors of Frosting
How to tell when cupcakes are done baking
I like to use the toothpick test when I am making cupcakes with the kids because it is easier for them to see and learn. But if you have been making cupcakes for a while you may not want to use that method.
If you are wanting an even easier method, the cupcake bounce done method as we call it is even easier. Pull the tray of cupcakes out from the oven and lightly press on a cupcake in the middle of the baking pan. If if bounces right back and no finger print is left behind then your cupcakes are done. If there is a finger print you need to bake them for a few more minutes.
How to Store Cupcakes
It is best to store cupcakes in an airtight container on the counter. Cupcakes are best to be enjoyed within 48 hours of making them. They won’t be bad to eat after 40 hours but they will start to dry out and not be as fresh.
After frosting cupcakes you are ok to store them on the counter for a day or 2 but after that, they should be stored in the fridge.
If you are storing them unfrosted you can store them in an airtight container or a plastic bag. If you are storing them with frosting on top I suggest using a cupcake storage container.
How to Freeze Homemade Cupcakes
You will want to freeze them without any frosting on them. Wrap them individually with plastic wrap and freeze on a baking sheet. Then once they are solid store in a zip close freezer bag. They will keep for up to 2 months when frozen.
To thaw, simply remove them from the freezer and defrost. Then frost as normal.
Thing One And Thing Two Cupcakes Supplies
Thing One And Thing Two Cupcakes Ingredients
How To Make Thing One And Thing Two Cupcakes
Bake the Red Velvet Cupcakes in red cupcake liners. When the cupcakes are done baking allow them to cool completely. While they are cooling make your buttercream frosting.
Add a small amount of the blue food coloring at a time to the buttercream until you get the same blue color as the things hair.
Cut a small tip off the piping bag just large enough for the top of the piping tip to fit the hole. Fill the bag with the blue buttercream.
Place the piping tip flat against the cupcake, while gently squeezing the bag slowly pull up to create hair. Keep repeating this until the cupcake has a whole head of hair.
Easy Cupcake Recipes
- Boston Cream Cupcakes
- Blueberry Cupcakes
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes
- Andes Mint Cupcakes
- Salted Caramel Cupcakes
- Boston Cream Cupcakes
- Unicorn Poop Cupcakes
Thing 1 and Thing 2 Cupcakes
Red Velvet cupcakes Ingredients
How to Make Red Velvet cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees and grease the muffin pan or use liners.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, food coloring vinegar, and vanilla. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pans. Do not fill the cups more than 2/3’s full. Bake for 19-21 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let set for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.
How to Make Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Place your butter and shortening together in the bowl of your mixer. Mix them together on medium speed until they are nice and creamy. Turn the mixer down to the lowest setting and slowly incorporate the powdered sugar into the shortening mixture.
- Once you have added all the powdered sugar in to your mixture, add in the vanilla extract and then the hot water.
- Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and continue mixing for 10 minutes until light and fluffy.
- The buttercream can be stored at room temperature for up to three days or in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- When you bring it out of the refrigerator let it sit at room temperature for two hours. Then re-whip it for ten minutes to bring it back to life.
How to Make Thing One and Thing 2 Cupcakes
- Bake the cupcakes and allow them to cool. While the cupcakes are cooling make the buttercream frosting.
- Add a small amount of the blue food coloring at a time to the buttercream until you get the same blue color as the things hair.
- Cut a small tip off the piping bag just large enough for the top of the piping tip to fit the hole. Fill the bag with the blue buttercream.
- Place the piping tip flat against the cupcake, while gently squeezing the bag slowly pull up to create hair. Keep repeating this until the cupcake has a whole head of hair.